• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thinking about doing a motor swap

bloodredguitar89

New CEG'er
I have a 96 GL with a lightly modified zetec currently, i am saving some money and was wondering if anybody knew if its possible to swap in a 2.3L duratec motor and tranny and how hard would it be? i've seen pictures of it done to the focus but i haven't really gotten a good look at the motor mounts what all is involved in this swap? any help would be appreciated

with the very little knowledge I have of the 2.3l I would imagine it'd be a lengthy and tedious process. I'm sure the modifications would be extensive. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.:shrug:

its a completely different setup than the Zetec. the reason it swaps in the focus is because its a stock engine option from the Focus ST.

Buy a v6 Contique all blownd up and fix it. People basically give broken Contours away.

Or buy my cylinder head and have more power than a 2.3 while keeping your zetec and spending a lot less money and having a lot less engineering hurdles to overcome.

Yep. Buy Ohsigmachi's head, and I have a new '96 Zetec motor for sale that you can put it on. That will get you over a stock 2.3L's 160HP. Throw a turbo on it and you'll still be financially ahead.

To put a Focus 2.3L in a Contour, you need to have a complete wiring harness and have custom axles and motor mounts made. Also, you'd need to adapt a Focus instrument cluster to the Contour. A '96 Contour's speedo is driven from the VSS off of the transmission, the tach is driven off of the PCM. A Focus instrument cluster is driven completely by the OBD-II bus.

I hate to jump on the V6 bus, but it would be easier to drop in a 3L Duratec.

BP

Or buy a broken V6 Contour for $20 bucks and a stick of bubble gum and put a 3L in.

Seriously you can get them for $300 bucks and $400 for a 3L and $300 in other stuff you'll need and you have a great start at $1,200ish. And have a car to sell. Or you could spend that on just a head...with turbo cams for what appears to be an n/a build..that's a great head but I feel like whoever buys it is going be in the middle of a pretty intense build.

Just stick with what you got and build on to it some more...

What do you have done now?

Things to do:
-Head(ohsigmachi)
-Cams(zxtuner.com)
-UDP(zxtuner.com)
-Header
-Exhaust

Just stick with what you got and build on to it some more...

What do you have done now?

Things to do:
-Head(ohsigmachi)
-Cams(zxtuner.com)
-UDP(zxtuner.com)
-Header
-Exhaust

Save that money and buy an early 90's civic. Then sell your contour and build a much faster honda. I've come to the realization, and you will to, that zetecs will never be overly fast.

engine

engine

Wat! Turning a CEG'ER to the RICE SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! The shame,blasphemy!

Someday a ZETEC will take on all V6 tours, 3.0 or 2.5(Turbo or normaly asperated).

Remember the Guy in Canada with the 500hp turbo ZETEC? :O

Expensive Yes, but I like it too! ;) ;)

Well considering hardly any of us have the time or the money to produce a 500hp civic i would be to differ i do know what i'm talking about. A properly done civic is not rice either.

A former coworker of mine built a hatch that ran consistent low 12's for 6 grand and it was far from rice.

It will be my next project once i have a decently steady income.

Well considering hardly any of us have the time or the money to produce a 500hp civic i would be to differ i do know what i'm talking about. A properly done civic is not rice either.

A former coworker of mine built a hatch that ran consistent low 12's for 6 grand and it was far from rice.

It will be my next project once i have a decently steady income.

Here's my brothers 95 accord... Never taken it to a track but its scary fast on the street... 419hp on pump. Built H22

101_2691.JPG

100_2540.JPG

100_2543.JPG

100_2541.JPG

Save that money and buy an early 90's civic. Then sell your contour and build a much faster honda. I've come to the realization, and you will to, that zetecs will never be overly fast.

Wow definitely not! A built Zetec is a FAST car!

I beg to differ. :p

I concur. If you're shiz didn't blow up (damn pistons...), then you would have been the first Contour into the 12's...I just know it.

I concur. If you're shiz didn't blow up (damn pistons...), then you would have been the first Contour into the 12's...I just know it.

And how much money went into that including the price of the car?

Civic Hatch can be had for a grand.

B16 and tranny for another 500.

Coilovers for a grand.

And a turbo kit for about 1800.

Granted you aren't doing and internal work and it might blow up down the road, but that total of 4300 will run 12's and is the price of a decent condition svt that might run high 14's.

It is just called facts, a zetec will never be hauling 11.5's like some of these street civics are.

And how much money went into that including the price of the car?

Civic Hatch can be had for a grand.

B16 and tranny for another 500.

Coilovers for a grand.

And a turbo kit for about 1800.

Granted you aren't doing and internal work and it might blow up down the road, but that total of 4300 will run 12's and is the price of a decent condition svt that might run high 14's.

It is just called facts, a zetec will never be hauling 11.5's like some of these street civics are.
The car was free and I spent about $4000 building it. Other than the pistons, it was capable of making enough power to run 12's. As it was it was faster than most 3Ls and they run high 13s low 14s.

Facts? How bout you don't know them. Your statement is false, on a few levels.
You need to quote who you're replying to. Im not sure if your stating i dont know what im talking about or if CustomX157 doesnt.

Edit: your edit answers my question. :laugh:

Back