• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

There has to be something wrong...

DarkBlueZ

Hard-core CEG'er
Well since I got the car about a year ago, the Zetec has never gotten over 22 MPG. I drive 10 Miles of highway back and forth to school every day. 55-70 mph. My average is 20 on every tank no matter what gas station's gas I use. Any input would help. Thanks.

ATX always has poor milege. But with a 4 banger it should be more than 22.

MTX is best. Should be around 30 if not more.

Maybe a tune up or something would help. Doesn't really matter on gas. It's all being watered down anyways.

Can i just bring it in to a local place for a tune up? Its getting pretty annoying with these gas prices. If I have to have a slow car, the least it could do is give me some miles :laugh:.

I wish I had an MTX :nonono:

Okay, just on not knowing your maitnance past...

Oil and filter .5 hours
Plugs, wires, rotor, cap. 1.0 hour
Tranny flush/filter .6 hour
Fuel Filter .5
Air filter/(K&N):laugh: .2 hours
Check your belts/replace (if needed 1.0 hour)

uh...all I can think on my brain.

Yeah, any shop would love to have your business when it comes to tune ups. They charge around $85/hour. That's typical shop rate.

So your looking at around 4 hours. So take 4 times 85 and we're looking at $340 plus parts cost. So probably around 450-500. Tune-ups aren't cheap but are worth it with the miles you have.

*note to everyone* = based all prices and hours off my previous knowledge at a GM dealership. Probably cheaper elsewhere.

Got the K&N already :laugh:. I can do that all myself, but I was unaware how much the shop would charge. How much would all this cost to do myself do ya think?

Got the K&N already :laugh:. I can do that all myself, but I was unaware how much the shop would charge. How much would all this cost to do myself do ya think?

Just did my girlfriends car's tune up. Did everything on that list minus the air filter and tranny fluid/filter change. Parts rounded up to be approx. 120 bucks. but you need to add in the tranny stuff. So I'm going to guess around $160. I was working on a toyota celica. So ford might be more expensive like always. Just call around and make them price match. Also... www.rockauto.com

If you look on here..there's a discount code in a post. Get ya 5% off.

i drive normally, heavy foot on occasion but not all the time... My cars have always gotten 30+ MPG. I run premium btw, regular runs like :censored::censored::censored::censored: in zetecs

i drive normally, heavy foot on occasion but not all the time... My cars have always gotten 30+ MPG. I run premium btw, regular runs like :censored::censored::censored::censored: in zetecs

Shouldn't be. I'd find out why regular is running so bad, since you're paying an extra $.30 per gallon, that adds up.

Don't pay a shop for a basic tune-up. Fuel and air filter can be changed with no tools. Spark plugs just need a socket, extension, and socket wrench. Tranny fluid change, just a socket wrench. There is no filter you can change in the tranny. Air filters run about $7, fuel filter same, spark plugs about $4 per pair, wires about $20, and tranny fluid about $4 per gallon, need 2 gallons.

Shouldn't be. I'd find out why regular is running so bad, since you're paying an extra $.30 per gallon, that adds up.
Car ran like crap the day we got it off regular, same with the other, always pings in the upper rpms and gas mileage went down the crapper.. Premium has always ran good, its worth the 30c extra

while doing the basic maintanence should help, i think the biggest problem is that your only going 10 miles. thats not long enough for the car to really get warmed up and on cold days the car may never even go to closed loop.

before my dad gave me the zetec (about 3+ years ago now) he used to get almost 40MPG :shocked:. he works in Cincinatti and we live down by Louisville so it was about 2 hours of all highway all the time. once i started driving it to school (about 5 miles) i was lucky to even get 30MPG (its an MTX so that helped alot).

FWIW i still get about 28MPG with the turbo on the zetec. at least when it was running:cry:

while doing the basic maintanence should help, i think the biggest problem is that your only going 10 miles. thats not long enough for the car to really get warmed up and on cold days the car may never even go to closed loop.

before my dad gave me the zetec (about 3+ years ago now) he used to get almost 40MPG :shocked:. he works in Cincinatti and we live down by Louisville so it was about 2 hours of all highway all the time. once i started driving it to school (about 5 miles) i was lucky to even get 30MPG (its an MTX so that helped alot).

FWIW i still get about 28MPG with the turbo on the zetec. at least when it was running:cry:

I have an ATX and i drive about 5 miles to school.:shrug: On a bad tank i might get 28 mpg.

What happened to the turbo zetec?

What happened to the turbo zetec?

i was driving the zetec saturday (making sure it was ready for SZ) and did a 0-60 run when i suddenly had no power. i limped it home and let it cool off a little. did a compression test later and had 115PSI on cylinders 1 and 2, 70PSI on cylinder 3, and cylinder 4 didnt even move the needle. :cry:

im going to try to tear into this week and see whats wrong. depending on what i find may give me an excuse to buy ohsigmachi's FRPP head and cams though :crazy:

Back