• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The svt contour on C&D television back in 1999!

Q

Q

Too bad they used a SVTC with a Tan interior :nonono: Quite possibly the worst color matching of all the interiors. Shoulda given them a MNB interior...might have won after all :laugh:

Too bad they used a SVTC with a Tan interior :nonono: Quite possibly the worst color matching of all the interiors. Shoulda given them a MNB interior...might have won after all :laugh:

yeah but green is one of the nicest exterior colors, and it never offered a blue interior. In march 97 when they tested a t-red with mnb it came in third(with 1st being audi a4 1.8t quattro, 2nd being acura integra gs-r) so who knows what these people are thinking :crazy:

I know about the March 97 C&D because I have that issue :) I know T-Green is a sweet color, but the tan dash was a horrid match to the rest of the interior. I don't like reading any of those magazines anymore anyways...seems like half the time they favor an expensive car even though its crap or they don't know what they are talking about. I didn't renew my subscription to Motor Trend after a 1 year trial last year :nonono:

The 98 promo video also makes it look like the shift knob is MNB and it also looks like there are no removable jackpoint covers

Let me ask you a question and Im not trying to be a dick or anything but if MNB is such an awesome interior then why do some of us that part out cars throw half of it if not all of it away because you cant give it away. Example people selling rear benches for 25 bucks and no one buys it.

Then ask yourself why an SVT with tan interior gets parted out and everything sells so fast.:ponder:

I remember this article. The last vestiges of any respect I had for Car & Driver were lost when they penalized the car for having a nice sounding exhaust stock (IIRC correctly, the quote was "like a junkyard dog, the growling never stops.") This was the era that solidified my belief that they wouldn't know a good car if it bit them in the posterior.

I also have never understood the "useless cupholder" comments. I actually LIKED the design of the cupholders on my early 1998 model.

Let me ask you a question and Im not trying to be a dick or anything but if MNB is such an awesome interior then why do some of us that part out cars throw half of it if not all of it away because you cant give it away. Example people selling rear benches for 25 bucks and no one buys it.

Then ask yourself why an SVT with tan interior gets parted out and everything sells so fast.:ponder:
Tan gets dirty easy.

They also tested with a 323i (170 hp), with all base options, which was the lowest model offered by BMW at the time. Throw it against the 328i (193 hp) Sport of the same year, it would have been a closer match in power and handling.

That test was like comparing a Contour SE to an SVT. 30 hp difference and obvious suspension differences.

It would also have been far too expensive to be in the comparison test. A base 323i was the only way to make the numbers work.

It's too bad they put us against a Chevy or Pontiac. That would have given us a better shot at 1st after seeing the others. :laugh:

The only thing about that is the fact that they didn't have a car worth a damn to put into the comparison:rolleyes: I mean really, did anyone wanna see a 4 door GAGT:eek:

Then ask yourself why an SVT with tan interior gets parted out and everything sells so fast. :ponder:
I guess I wasn't really expecting someone to say that. :ponder: To answer your question:
1. They are far less common than MNB
2. Find me a MNB steering wheel in good shape and I'll pay top dollar to replace my Atlantis Blue one because the original steering wheel was trashed.
3. Find me a Drivers seat in great shape and I will pay top dollar for it.
4. Rear seats are typically used less, especially in cars that were taken care of.
5. Tan seats are harder to keep clean (light colors show dirt easier)
6. Need I go on?? :laugh:

Back