• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

the smell of clogged/burnt cat converters

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
can anyone give me a comparison to the smell of a burnt or clogged cat or pre cats.
i have a burnt wire smell in my car and i've went thru the entire car and nothing.

:help:

can anyone give me a comparison to the smell of a burnt or clogged cat or pre cats.
i have a burnt wire smell in my car and i've went thru the entire car and nothing.

:help:

It will start to smell like eggs :cool:

Ya know...just rip the whole thing off your car and run around with just a y-pipe.

DOOOO EEEEET. Just do like bush, say there are WMDs in your exhaust or that your exhaust supports terrorists, then rip it out and throw in some good ol american headers and big diameter exhaust with loud mufflers.

Mystique smells like rotten eggs if i hit 6 and a half :laugh:
The smell of 'rotten egg' odor is caused by high amounts of sulfur in the gasoline your using.
Sulfur is normally eliminated during the refining process, but the EPA regulation of sulfur in gasoline differs from state to state.

See when high sulfur fuel is burned, there is a chemical reaction in the catalytic converter causing the sulfur to oxidize.
As the vehicle is driven, the oxidizing reaction odor in the converter will decrease with mileage and age.

So it's not really the cat's fault....but it is if it can't compensate the for absorbing the sulfur. In which case....your cat might be too old to do it's job or you just put gas in your car that was not refined properly which means its cheap gas.

hmm, i actually have been running 89 in the car during the winter, it seems to run better and better fuel economy. Maybe it IS time for a new cat, i was talking to Stazi about getting rid of my pre-cats on it.. Good to know Harrry.

I don't think that you would normally notice it from your own car since it would be coming out the exhuast which is behind you. you will notice it from a car in front of you. I have noticed it when the car in front of me accelerates hard say up a hill.

I don't think that you would normally notice it from your own car since it would be coming out the exhuast which is behind you. you will notice it from a car in front of you. I have noticed it when the car in front of me accelerates hard say up a hill.
Or you could be sitting at a light and be smelling it....because your ass tore up the leather and the car now stinks of internal feces that you have been struggling to contain so you may reach a rest area of some sort.

Alittle over board?:laugh:

I've smelled it from my own car on more than one occasion - taking an uphill onramp with six people in the car and bad exhaust manifolds was pretty bad.

I must agree, i have tooo. If your sitting at a light for long periods because of traffic the smell will start to accumulate.:help: And then the figure pointing starts to happen.:laugh:

The smell of 'rotten egg' odor is caused by high amounts of sulfur in the gasoline your using.
Sulfur is normally eliminated during the refining process, but the EPA regulation of sulfur in gasoline differs from state to state.

See when high sulfur fuel is burned, there is a chemical reaction in the catalytic converter causing the sulfur to oxidize.
As the vehicle is driven, the oxidizing reaction odor in the converter will decrease with mileage and age.

So it's not really the cat's fault....but it is if it can't compensate the for absorbing the sulfur. In which case....your cat might be too old to do it's job or you just put gas in your car that was not refined properly which means its cheap gas.

ok......you just showin off now !! :laugh::laugh:

j/k good info!

ok..............i cut the cat out!!
now i know many of u won't agree, but to me...............it sounds great!!!

a little rasp at 1st, but after the exhaust warms up..........sounds great.
i noticed a very small increase in response, but not any increase in power.
now.......i turn to cold air!

boy......this building on a budget it tuff!!:laugh:

no smell............the cat is out.......

Which means..your car might smell like gas when sitting at a light. Or might not at all....i've had mixed conclusions when we gutted cats on these cars.

I'm a fan as long as you keep the pre-cats.:cool:

Back