• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

the lets make clockwork more power thread!

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
i neeeeeedddd to make more power. before i go bust my wad on another nitrous kit for a second stage, a window switch, and a progressive controller (about 1k) i think we should all sit here and decide what stupid crazy blower setup or turbo setup i can do!

i wanna spend about 1500 or less. (yeah, yeah impossible i know!)

before you state the obvious, i dont wanna buy an ADC kit and i dont wanna buy a thomas knight kit unless it comes exactly the way blackcoogs is because he had to do quite a bit of fab work to make it stay together.

but.

maybe a blower retrofit? (vortech most likely, mounted on the pass. side of the car where a thomas knight is)

a 1 off y pipe to a turbo? (like warmonger's (now rays) setup)

i dont really know what i want! i know that a turbo in the end is gonna be harder and cost more, but make the most power and have the best end result. keep in mind in a month my car is only a fair weather driver so i can afford to have it out of comission while i do all this good stuff!

gime some input, but dont call me an idiot. just help me make up a decision, i wil most likely try something nobody has done yet :)

I think you will be the most pleased with a turbo setup...you already mentioned all the pros. As for the cons, being the hardest...if you have the ambition it sounds like you do I think you can pull it off. One of the biggest expenses and it is optional, is an intercooler. If you can manage to fab a y-pipe/up pipe and the subsequent downpipe I think the rest is packaging.

I used an ADC kit and after that process I can see how the custom guys probably went about it. I dont have the tools or know how to do such a thing myself though. You could also talk to a fabricator about making those really tough parts for you and then go from there.

I love my turbo so I lean in that direction. Or start with an easier platform to build upon.

1500 budget will be tough to stay within even after all parts are made...seems like I spent almost 1000 more in ancillary upgrades, tuning tools and such.

Oh and lets not forget, once you produce the power you will be requiring 1000+ in trans upgrades...unless that is already done.

Last edited:
agreed. i'm going to try it this winter, copying warmonger's custom y pipe setup. as far as the tranny goes, i hear ya. i have been beating on it with a stage3 clutch now with the nitrous. so far so good. im at least 260 at the wheels right now, so i'm close to what its going to be. i think the trans will hold up to around 300 unless you try to launch at WOT. so if i blow a diff, i buy a good one. i'm prepared for that. i plan to run a FMIC if possible but i will have to see how the turbo goes on :)

you should talk to stilov...he mad a custom turbo kit which is one of the most powerful ones on the forum...he knows what to do and im sure he would be willing to help you out.

1500 is possible, but difficult. I spent about $2900 for the mustang. I saved money by using rebuilt turbos from turbocity, and I used my shorty headers (flipped upside down). For me, the most expensive part was the FMIC. Heres a quick breakdown

Turbos: 350 each (Garrett T3)
FMIC: 800 shipped (sheren custom Intercoolers)
Wastegate housings: 70 (ebay-used)
DSM 1g BOV: free
DSM 1g BOV flange: Free
Welding wire: $40
Flanges: $40
K&N Filters: $70
Boost controller: $60
Misc mandrel bends/ fittings: $300
Feed and Drain lines: $150 (i forget)
Silicone couplers: $150 maybe: i did buy too many and have a bunch left
blow through MAF: $300
spark plug wires: $80 (had to switch to 90 degree boots so they wouldnt burn
ngk iridium plugs: $56
custom exhaust from downpipe back: $400

Plus lots of hours relocating wiring harnesses, starter relays, MSD box, fabricating, changing oil pumps, dyno tuning, etc.

Keep in mind though that this amount doesnt include injectors- siemans 60lb/hr are $500, or the cost of the chip and dyno time, or external gates ( i will be switching to when I make new headers).
This can add up fast when you are dealing with all the little things. I would budget more like $2000 to $2500, especially if you are going external gates.

Jeff

How about you buy and finish the turbo kit I pieced together? I already have:

- T3/T4 Turbo
- Tial 38mm Wastegate
- Turbo-XS BOV
- Diamond Racing forged pistons (2.5L, 9:1 CR)
- ADC Liquid-to-Air Intercooler (w/ new heat exchanger and new pump)
- Eight 39# returnless injectors
- 75mm Pro-Flo MAF
- SCT XCal2 + PRP
- Log style Manifolds

I'm probably still forgetting some things, too. All you need to do is finish the piping for it, i.e. up/down pipes, turbo inlet pipe, and connect it all to your exhaust. I will sell whatever you need seperately so let me know if you want any of it, and I'll give you a fair price (like way below what I paid for everything).

How about you buy and finish the turbo kit I pieced together? I already have:

- T3/T4 Turbo
- Tial 38mm Wastegate
- Turbo-XS BOV
- Diamond Racing forged pistons (2.5L, 9:1 CR)
- ADC Liquid-to-Air Intercooler (w/ new heat exchanger and new pump)
- Eight 39# returnless injectors
- 75mm Pro-Flo MAF
- SCT XCal2 + PRP
- Log style Manifolds

I'm probably still forgetting some things, too. All you need to do is finish the piping for it, i.e. up/down pipes, turbo inlet pipe, and connect it all to your exhaust. I will sell whatever you need seperately so let me know if you want any of it, and I'll give you a fair price (like way below what I paid for everything).

Nice bunch of parts. I definitely consider that if I were looking for stuff....hint hint to you out there searching for turbo stuff.

Back