• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The difference between lsd and non-lsd

solo92s10

Hard-core CEG'er
Just posting this because today I got to drive my first non Lsd contour and the difference is crazy. I bought my first svt with a quaife and also a spare trans with a quaife. So i was lucky enough to never drive without. Unfortunatly I sold the spare and sold my first csvt yesterday and today I drove the non lsd car in the rain. Talk about spin, Never thought an lsd would make that big of a difference. Im not going to drop that kind of dime on a lsd at this point but it really is worth the extra money.
Just curious if anybody else feels the same about the lsd, either torsen or quaife.
Maybe its just me but the difference is more than any bolt on ive ever done to any car. And ive had a few.:laugh:

it well damned better be a huge difference! im just started on my tranny build and my torsen in sitting there waiting for me to install it.lol. im very close to dropping the subframe

I agree, it's a major difference and well worth it. I drove many years without and had a Torsen installed with the 3L.

A FWD car with the power like the SVT has really needs a LSD but as you say the cost of one is just to high for most people. I would love to have one but with my car worth no more the $2K at this point (12 years old and 130Kmiles.) and a LSD will costing over $1K after install it's just not worth it.

there is a difference but I don't know if I would call it a hugh difference. Yes it will drive both wheels. Its great with the turbo, don't have to worry. However alot of that could be attributed to how the vehicle is driven. If one is spinning in the wet the tires might not be good or one is driving to agressively, imho.

True there are lots of factors but non that you mention are different. Wheels/tires are swapped over corner for corner from my traded car and my driving style is exactly the same which is why it seems so different. Different enough that I had to change my driving style to try and avoid spinning. Other factors that actually may contribute are the suspension is beat on this car, and the old car had poly filled roll restricters with upgraded newer suspension. The old car also had a good bit more power though. IMHO the difference is great enough to make it worth the money if you are considering it as an option.

I've never had lsd but I quite frankly think FWD single track sucks in the rain. Tires have to be in really good shape, once the tread gets shallow enough the tire hydroplanes way easier than it seems RWD cars ever did. Every FWD car I've had does it with tires only say half worn. Pretty ridiculous when you can't reach 45 mph............

They are great for being in the snow...I will say that much.

THIS.

With the stock open diff, if you lose traction on an uphill grade, you end up in a ditch; the whole front end just crawls sideways. But the LSD keeps the car pulling straight; there is still plenty of wheelspin, but no sideways motion. That was one of the most surprising benefits after I put the Torsen in the Roush.

Back