• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The culprit of my engine failure.

I would say good job, but I guess its more a negative then a positive.

Its amazing it drove like that! But the crack seems clean enough that you didn't lose any pieces, also kinda pointing to a long term crack froming stress cycles. I'm guessing it probably just held itself together well enough and in place to keep going!

It wasnt a really loud snap. I started noticing something unusual on the way from Indy to Greencastle which is about a 50 mile drive. About 5 miles outside of Greencastle I started noticing a weird metal sound coming from my sfhiter. Like a metal on metal vibration. I assumed the trans mount had failed and the trans was resting on the subframe. Btw, for about the last 3 months, EGTs were about 200 F higher than normal. Normaling cruising on the highway at like 70 mph was about 800F, but now they were reaching as high as 1000F. Anyways, I picked up my gf and got back on the highway. Got back up to 70-75 mph and the noise continued again. If youve ever heard a fatigue test being done of a rotating assy it sounded pretty close to this noise. Right before failure it got louder and then you just heard this big clunk and bouncing around. It only lasted for about a second or two and then it stopped. I immediately pulled to the shoulder and the car died as i was rolling to a stop. The car didnt want to stay running but if I was driving it would run. The car was definetely louder and sounded pretty unhealthy, and it sounded what I assumed was rod knock, but I know know, it was the one half of the crank smacking the other. Obviously, because it was a clean break, the one half of the crank would still rotate the other half. I made it home 30 miles driving on the shoulder. Got a flat tire in the process too. :(

Indeed. Just because the crank is split in two does not mean that the two pieces have signigicant space between the each other to not transfer energy and operate similarly to normal. Because this seems to have been a clean break, the main bearings and end caps still held the crankshaft in its place . The fracture would have eventually increased in nature until enough slack was built up to grenade the bottom end, pan and all. You're lucky OP!

Back