• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SZ and Cougarfest together?

Haw, haw, haw... never heard that one before. Clever guy.

Thank you. I'll be here all week.
But seriously, I never had much interest in FWD Cougars, however if it'll make the event better, I'm down. It's not too much of a drive for me. Karting is fun.

I think that works for me as well. Always wanted to run Gingerman. Plus the Cougars!! I will have to explain this to my wife.

Rob

YES!

i wasnt planning on doing the track day, but if you come up i think i have to

I'm racing and you don't care but ROB comes up and you're all about it!?!? I see how it is. Now we need FastFord to finish his Cougar so we're at 2/2 for a shoot out. ;)

Last edited:
nah i just need 23racer to bring his world challenge coug :D

nothing against you, but thursday is generally when people roll in to fest and i wanted to be there so greet

nah i just need 23racer to bring his world challenge coug :D

nothing against you, but thursday is generally when people roll in to fest and i wanted to be there so greet

In the past we had a meet and greet at the track, then everyone cruised to the hotel in the evening or whenever they felt like it. Just a thought as it's worked out great in the past.

Given the declining number of attendees as years go by, I was approached about combining our SZ with NECO's Cougarfest for a CDW-27 gathering as a whole. Thoughts?

Been pushing this idea for a few years now. Would love to see a joint national meet, I'm confident a majority of NECO & CEG would be onboard for this. Better turnout, more sponsors, bigger event, and perhaps a bigger discount on the hotel.

Pole, you planning something for Milwaukee 2013? :D

My only concern is that this isn't truly a joint meet representing both groups. What I'm thinking is going to happen here is it's going to end up just being the CEG crowd attending the NECO meet and SpringZing dying so to speak. I'm thinking this meet should even have a different name because it's not a Spring Zing and it's not just a CougarFest it's a combination and something different.

That said I feel like since the planning for CougarFest is so far along that they will have the feeling... why should we have to change to accommodate CEG? I'm all fine with attending CougarFest, but if it's not going to be tailored to fit both groups I still want to have an SZ event.

EDIT: Looks like this has already come up on NECO as well.

Last edited:
^ I agree with some of the parts posted.
I mean no disrespect toward NECO at all here. They plan a great event and I'm sure when our members show up they welcome us just as we have always welcomed them at SZ.
But, SZ is a part of CEG history. Large or small, it's still SZ. I think that tradition should continue. NECO members are certainly always welcome to join us. Just my .2.

My only concern is that this isn't truly a joint meet representing both groups.

I don't want a joint meet. I was hoping SZ and CF could just share a weekend. I really don't follow the logic in two event taking place at the same time taking away from either one of them individually. Just because we're doing the same things and bridging the gap with NECO and Cougarfest doesn't mean it's not still SZ. I'm not concerned with numbers, I could care less so long as I see the people I look forward to seeing every year, it just makes very little sense to me that two identical platforms cant share their respective gathering while retaining their individual identity.

I don't want a joint meet. I was hoping SZ and CF could just share a weekend. I really don't follow the logic in two event taking place at the same time taking away from either one of them individually. Just because we're doing the same things and bridging the gap with NECO and Cougarfest doesn't mean it's not still SZ. I'm not concerned with numbers, I could care less so long as I see the people I look forward to seeing every year, it just makes very little sense to me that two identical platforms cant share their respective gathering while retaining their individual identity.

I agree with josh on that one. I'm just planning on having a good time and meeting some more of the great people I met at spring zing lite

Just my $0.02 since I come from the Cougar side of things. Yeah I think the planning for the 2013 Cougarfest is probably too far along (and it's too late in the game) to make any huge changes, but I personally would like to see the 2014 event planned by both groups. One thing I've noticed about CEG is that there are more of you guys from the Midwest and South than there are NECO guys. We did a map a few years ago of all the NECO members, and it was very much Ohio Valley-centered, hence why their events have been Indy (04-06, 08), Boardman, OH (07), South Bend, IN (09), Harrisburg, PA (10), Columbus, OH (11), and Mechanicsburg, PA (12). There have been a few pushes to have it slightly further south (Nashville has been brought up nearly every year, but nobody has done the ground work to make it happen), but there just hasn't been a big enough group of people to pull it that way. With you guys involved, I could see the event working a little more south to work with you guys. I'm not speaking for all of NECO, just myself, but I think that if there was an incentive to move the event further south, it would work out for everyone. Also, in terms of scheduling, I know 'Fest has always been in July, and 'Zing has been in the springtime (durrr.....). If we're going to move forward with one event instead of two, maybe we could both compromise some and do early June or something. Again, just MY personal opinion on that one.

Also, IIRC, 'Zing joining 'Fest next summer is a one-year-thing, since you guys didn't really have anything firmed up and we already had 'Fest pretty well planned and scheduled, and that the NECO guys would be more than willing to make sure that 2014 is a much more evenly accommodating event for both NECO and CEG. Someone on NECO even suggested coming up with a new name for the combined event in 2014 to show the cooperation of the two groups.

I don't want a joint meet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the whole point of this thread... reading the first post, which I quoted below. I thought that what we were trying to accomplish here was piggy backing on CougarFest since the planning was so far along to have one large event with everyone. This is why I brought up my concerns in my previous post. So given the discussions on both sides here it appears that it would be best for us to have our separate SZ for 2013.

Given the declining number of attendees as years go by, I was approached about combining our SZ with NECO's Cougarfest for a CDW-27 gathering as a whole. Thoughts?

Looking forward to 2014 we should work with NECO to have a large event to transition CougarFest and Spring Zing into one large event under a new name... Or thinking into this further rather then combine them in coming years why don't we just set up both events (at different times) keeping the same names, but with the intentions of including both platforms and advertising it as such. That way we can have two large meets that everyone can look forward too rather then just one.

All things said either way we still need someone to step up and organize SZ13, and quickly. I still vote we have it in May and organize it to include the Cougar crowd from NECO. So this means dual posting/commenting/buy-in. This would also include separate categories at the Show-N-Shine for the Cougar platform, etc. By having the events separate and in different locations we can make it easier for some members to attend one event or the other given their location... or just an opportunity for people to get out twice a year to have fun with their cars.

Looking forward to 2014 we should work with NECO to have a large event to transition CougarFest and Spring Zing into one large event under a new name... Or thinking into this further rather then combine them in coming years why don't we just set up both events (at different times) keeping the same names, but with the intentions of including both platforms and advertising it as such. That way we can have two large meets that everyone can look forward too rather then just one.

See, as I perceived it, the point was to have one event because the numbers were flagging so badly at each single event. So we wanted to have one event to combine the efforts of each and try to generate something larger and more well-attended, with more registration fee money to plan better activities and get better discounts at hotels, tracks, etc. If you're going to have more than one event, then there's really no point in this entire discussion at all.

See, as I perceived it, the point was to have one event because the numbers were flagging so badly at each single event. So we wanted to have one event to combine the efforts of each and try to generate something larger and more well-attended, with more registration fee money to plan better activities and get better discounts at hotels, tracks, etc. If you're going to have more than one event, then there's really no point in this entire discussion at all.

I agree 100%. The whole point of this is to combine resources to make one GREAT event for both groups to be involved in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the whole point of this thread... reading the first post, which I quoted below. I thought that what we were trying to accomplish here was piggy backing on CougarFest since the planning was so far along to have one large event with everyone. This is why I brought up my concerns in my previous post. So given the discussions on both sides here it appears that it would be best for us to have our separate SZ for 2013.

I'm trying to clarify what I meant. I realize how the initial post came off after reading your stated only concern with the proposal and wanted to elaborate. I haven't interpreted the discussion on either forum to indicate that it would be best to separate for this year. Quite the opposite, it seems there are only a few people even marginally opposed.

Looking forward to 2014 we should work with NECO to have a large event to transition CougarFest and Spring Zing into one large event under a new name... Or thinking into this further rather then combine them in coming years why don't we just set up both events (at different times) keeping the same names, but with the intentions of including both platforms and advertising it as such.

I'm with you 100%, but while I agree that SZ and CF should retain their individual identity I think it's vital we join forces for a number of reasons, while potentially combining it into one named joint event in the future.

My thoughts as well. I can't take two long weekend vacations for two events, just like I haven't been able to do the last 7 years there were two events. The point of this all was to help everyone.

I'll quote briefly my statements to Dave and Luca yesterday.

"I think the idea of a joint event has skewed my initial intent and the sharing of weekends I was approached about. I don't want SZ to go away, I love SZ. NECO has their thing and we have ours. Both are 4 days long over a weekend. So my head says, two events, same weekend, same schedule. Additionally, when it comes to group rates, track event costs, show and shine costs....the more people the better the deals and the more affordable it becomes thus drawing more attendees."

Last edited:
I'm trying to clarify what I meant. I realize how the initial post came off after reading your stated only concern with the proposal and wanted to elaborate. I haven't interpreted the discussion on either forum to indicate that it would be best to separate for this year. Quite the opposite, it seems there are only a few people even marginally opposed.

I'm with you 100%, but while I agree that SZ and CF should retain their individual identity I think it's vital we join forces for a number of reasons, while potentially combining it into one named joint event in the future.

My thoughts as well. I can't take two long weekend vacations for two events, just like I haven't been able to do the last 7 years there were two events. The point of this all was to help everyone.

I'll quote briefly my statements to Dave and Luca yesterday.

"I think the idea of a joint event has skewed my initial intent and the sharing of weekends I was approached about. I don't want SZ to go away, I love SZ. NECO has their thing and we have ours. Both are 4 days long over a weekend. So my head says, two events, same weekend, same schedule. Additionally, when it comes to group rates, track event costs, show and shine costs....the more people the better the deals and the more affordable it becomes thus drawing more attendees."

I'm ok with the events happening at the same time etc, why not share resources? We can still do a separate CEG show and shine and events and NECO can do theirs, we just share the same space, or we could possibly combine it. However, I would prefer Spring Zing be kept in the spring months, and while things do have to move forward, it would be a shame to ever see SZ or CougarFest die as they are a huge part of both organizations history.

But all in all if NECO does a track day, dyno day, show and shine and banquet, why not utilize same facilities, we can most likely get a better deal and more people = more fun right? Do we have to combine every single year, no, maybe every other or something. I think it might be wise to seriously consider combining this year since we are getting down to the wire on getting SZ planned, though I think LUCA and I did SZlite in like a month...

So why not have them separate, just have them share the same event schedule? Boosts attendance, CEG and NECO are separate, all is good? :ponder:

Back