• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

system rattles car

As far as eDead goes, it is made of SBR (styrene-butadiene-rubber) or known as Asphalt (with rubber added). the problem with SBR is will have long term degradation due to the high heats that happen inside a car. This will cause the mat to peel away from inverted and vertical surfaces.

It was my understanding that eDead hasn't been made with asphalt for years.:shrug: Is there some recent news about eDead and butyl we should know about, or is this just internet knowledge from 4 years ago?

I know when I was installing my eDead, all I did to install it was to press it in with my fingers. I didn't think this was possible with an asphalt based deadener. Btw, everything that I pressed on with my fingers two years ago is the same place, including the 3-4 layers on the underside of the roof.

It was my understanding that eDead hasn't been made with asphalt for years.:shrug: Is there some recent news about eDead and butyl we should know about, or is this just internet knowledge from 4 years ago?

I know when I was installing my eDead, all I did to install it was to press it in with my fingers. I didn't think this was possible with an asphalt based deadener. Btw, everything that I pressed on with my fingers two years ago is the same place, including the 3-4 layers on the underside of the roof.

If they have changed it, it would have been in the last year, as a friend of mine ordered some before last summer direct from them (employee discount) and some of it starting peeling this summer here in Tucson, AZ (110-115 degrees). We pulled it all off, and replaced it with Second Skin (made in Phoneix, AZ)

He might have got an old batch or something :shrug: this is why I assumed it was still asphalt.

Back