• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Synthetic temperature range

hetfield

or hetfeild
In Pete's FAQ he mentions that synthetics can be applied in a greater range of temperatures. Now that cooler weather is setting in here in WI, I'm finding myself watching the weather forecasts to plan a time to wax my car. We're in a bit of a warm spell, but that will go away quickly. I know from experience that cool (50-60F), humid weather will make a soupy mess of carnauba. Does anyone know the "book" temperatures for average synthetics, and maybe even some real-world experience in cooler weather?

It's 70 for regular for ease off application. Don't think a synthetic would be much different. I've put wax on in 40F temps though. Just takes a little more work.

I've applied synthetics down to the 40 DegF range w/ no issues. Dry time is just a little longer than warm temperatures (maybe 1.5x to 2x).

~50 degrees is about the lowest I have ever applied a product. Just remember to apply THIN coats which will allow the product to haze faster and it also saves you from having to buy new product more often.

Obviously, a heated garage will help the product to haze in colder temps. but if you don't have access to a heater even a fan to simply move the air in the garage will help. The fan doesn't need to blow air at the vehicle, just to circulate the air in the garage.

Just remember, THIN COATS!!!

Back