• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Swapping Side Skirts

Westwildcat

CEG'er
When I purchased my 99 SVT, it was missing the side skirts, brackets that hold them on were there but the skirts were missing. I hauled home a 95 contour the other day for some parts that someone had put SVT badges on, and also the car has the side skirts on it. I am wanting to take the side skirts off of the 95 and put them on my 99. Can anyone give me tips on how to properly do this without wrecking anything? Would just like to know the proper way to do it before I try to take them off and end up wrecking them or something.... If anyone can help that would be great.... Thanks

Edit: I just now notice that the older Contour SE had side skirts on them, and that is likely what is there, not side skirts off of an SVT. Are SE and SVT side skirts the same? And question above still applies if so...

Thanks

SE and SVT side skirts are completely different in appearence. The SVT ones are taller and more square then the SE side skirts. However they are completely interchangable and mount in the exact same manor.

Ok so I could use the SE skirts in the mean time until I find a set of SVT skirts to put on.... Any trick to removing and installing the skirts?

Proper way to remove side skirts: Pull out all pop pins behind skirt, and also the ones at the ends. Carefully and evenly push the entire skirt upward and toward you. This slides the angled tabs out of the slots without harm. DO NOT PULL DOWN OR STRAIGHT TOWARD YOU. This may break the tabs, and then you're basically sunk. Also, I have noticed that many side skirts fill with sand and water over time. To solve this, I drilled 1/4 holes along the bottom of the side skirts (at least five or six) to drain the sand and water. They are completely invisible, unless you are under the car, and keep the skirts light and free of debris.

Back