• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Y-Pipe Question

Mac

CEG'er
Ok, so i've decided to optimize my stock y, but after reading up alot about different y-pipes and optimizing the stock y and just looking at my y for about an hour i started to think about the best way to go about doing my optimization...

now, i understand that i could just cut and/or grind down the bar in the middle but that isn't really curing the problem... so i started to wonder if i were just cut right below the y connection on each incoming pipe, and then buy a new y connector to fit properly and weld back together, if that would be worth the time, effort and money to do? or should i just cut/grind down that bar and do my best to smooth/flatten out the rest?

and lastly i honestly mean NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE but, before anybody goes of listing the complete ''optimal exhaust setup", i'm only curious about the best way to Optimize my existing stock SVT Y-Pipe at this time...

thanks,

-Mac

actually i have all of those, and there isn't a how to about optimizing the y pipe in there...

and i know how/what i need to do to the y-pipe to optimize it, but i'm wondering if i were to make those cuts at the end of the y connections and then re-weld in a new y connector if that would be worth the effort?

thanks though!

-Mac

why would you weld a new conector on when you can re-weld the original back on :shrug:

Easier for the exhaust shop to do so, most don't like to hack things up and reweld parts like that. Which is best for you to take it how it is, so he has a visual on what it is supposed to look like before and what it should be like after.

why would you weld a new conector on when you can re-weld the original back on :shrug:

because it would make for a smoother transition at the Y point instead of having the stock one that has been ground/cut down... and honestly if you look at a stock y pipe, it's not completely round at the outlet of the y connection, it's got a dip/crease on both top and bottom... and i know it's not probably THAT big of a deal, but to me it just seems easier and a little more classy you know?

i think i'm going to take harry's advice and take up to a muffler shop the way it is and see what they can do for me and see what they say about my theory..

but BrApple do you see what i'm sayin at least?

-Mac

Back