• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT gauges question

evilduckz

New CEG'er
Ok to start off i have a contour made in 01/98 and its the LX (i know its ghetto), It also has no tach. So i bought some svt gauges off ebay. The gauges i bought have the two standard wiring harness connections on back, but it also has four extra wires i have no clue what to do it. So first i just threw the new cluster in there and the tach,fuel gauge appear to be right. the temp sensor doesnt work, but thats becuase my sending unit is bad. Anyways, from reading issues from other posts, i followed someone through my residential neighborhood and it said i was doing 60ish. So, what can i do to make speedo correct (if i dont have to buy a new one), and what do i do with these four wires? The new svt speedo its hard to read since the sticker is faded but it looks like it was made in march '08.

I know someone mentioned somehting about
"This really needs to be made a sticky because there is too much confusion about gauge cluster installs.

For installing SVT gauges in a 95-98 (not 98.5), it requires that you use a 98 SVT cluster (not 98.5-00).

For installing SVT gauges in a 98.5-00, it requires that you use a 98.5-00 SVT cluster.

TIP : 98 clusters will say NORMAL across the temp. gauge. 98.5-00 clusters will not say anything. Also, the Brake light and ABS light are in opposite positions. "
any unfortunitly the gauges i bought dont have normal across the temp gauge, so will i have to buy new ones?

Last edited:
I've never seen one with addiotional wires coming out the back. Maybe someone modified it. It sounds like your trying to put a E1 cluster into a 98.0, it can be done, but takes a lot of work and you need to have a device(GPS) to calibrate the speedo. If you can post or pm me pictures of the back of the clusters I can let you know what needs done.

With the info at the bottom of the post, I'd say they're calibrated differently, and just moving the needle isn't going to help.

You'll probly need to sell the set you have and get a set with "NORMAL" on it.

Forget it... It isn't going to work... Your only hope is to find a guage cluster (at a scrap / junk yard) that has a tach. BUT the cluster has to be from the SAME YEAR / SAME ENGINE / SAME TRANNY type as your car.

Since you have an LX it is most likely a MTX Zetec. Good luck finding one of those, in your year, with a tach.

I have looked everywhere, as I have a 98 Zetec MTX (yes also an LX) and wanted a tach.

then I retract my previous post. Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe i'll slap a 10" on there from redneck mart.

Forget it... It isn't going to work... Your only hope is to find a guage cluster (at a scrap / junk yard) that has a tach. BUT the cluster has to be from the SAME YEAR / SAME ENGINE / SAME TRANNY type as your car.

I understand the same year part... best bet for knowing it would work.

Engine sorta matters, but I can't remember about the SVT or V6 tach in a Zetec. What I'm forgetting is if the tach still registers the correct RPMs (but the redline is obviously off), or if the calibration is off (reports incorrectly).

Tranny has nothing to do with the cluster... MTX (SVT included) clusters still have an OD OFF light.

BTW, all Mystiques had a tach, so find a similar year Zetec Mystique cluster and you're golden (unless you were hard set on the white faces).

If you're referring to this one(mine), it's a custom gauge face. It was not an option from SVT. And it's backlit too. :laugh:

DSCF0806.jpg

what year svt clusters had the spedo connected by ribbon wire? i have had such a hard time switching it into my 99 so im gessing its not a 99. i ended up switching everything over to my old cluster with its old units. can i get my spedo recalibrated at a shop??

sounds liek you installed a 98 cluster ... if you have a 99 the SVT guages need to look the same on the back as your stock guages ....

Back