• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Engine Upgrade

MARTINI

CEG'er
I guess I've got contour fever!!

I've told you we had some problems with the waterpump and thermostat, the upper water hose blew and damaged one of the heads because of the heat.:mad:

I'm getting a refurbished or used head from some friend who also has a 3.0L engine, we are getting exited on mounting the 3.0L (jaguar X type) and keep the rest of the 2.5L :cool:

I need help in knowing what is needed to put the 3.0L block and keeping the rest from the 2.5 SVT (heads, uper inteke manifold). Is it worth it? or Should I just replace the damaged head and go on? :shrug:

I'll apreciate your help :help:

I don't know that anyone has tried to combine the Contour 2.5 upper parts of the engine to the Jag X type bottom end. You probably will not find anyone that can tell you if they can be interchanged or even if the transmission bell housing is the same.

I do know that when Terry Haines (an extremely knowledgeable person of all things Contour) tried to install a Jag X type 3.0 engine in a Contour he ran into so many problems that he stopped.

There is lots of information on how to install a 3.0 Duratec from a Taurus or Escape in Contours though.

The jag bloxk is also from the Duratec Family as the Sable and escape, I'm still looking for detailed information and diagrams for further reference.

Any help on this sill be apreciated.

I'll keep you updated

I do know that when Terry Haines (an extremely knowledgeable person of all things Contour) tried to install a Jag X type 3.0 engine in a Contour he ran into so many problems that he stopped.

Yep, that was the same situation he had putting a 3L Lincoln LS into Mikey's pre98. Too many problems and unknowns and didn't want to risk starting it to ruin it all. Mike got the car back but sold it right away and had picked up Trapps' SF SVT.

Yep, that was the same situation he had putting a 3L Lincoln LS into Mikey's pre98. Too many problems and unknowns and didn't want to risk starting it to ruin it all. Mike got the car back but sold it right away and had picked up Trapps' SF SVT.

The ides with this one is to build an hybrid engine. keeping heads, and intake, eshaust manifods od the sVT and using only the block and internals of the 3.0L

need more info on this hybrid projects don on CSVT

As was pointed out earlier, this has not been done by anyone that has posted the results here. You would be covering new ground. I have no idea if the block had any changes to make it compatible with the DAMB heads used by Jaguar. I also don't know if the bell housing is the same.

If you choose to go ahead, please keep us posted.

I'm getting the parts tonight from my friend to start tomorrow with the complete evaluation for the block... I'm actually exited about it...

Pray for it to be compatible ..... :p

x-type trans pics.

auto:
f7f5_1.JPG

Sept-19-08%20(270).JPG

bell housing looks similar. starter is in the same approximate situation. looks like the tab for the one bolt would match up to the one that we cut off the 3L blocks because it isn't needed and its in the way of the SVT oil cooler.

It does look pretty compatable :shrug:.... I searched for those pics for my own curiosity, but it looks like it could be possible.

MARTINI, you should get on the jaguar forums and get some questions answered there......

As was pointed out earlier, this has not been done by anyone that has posted the results here. You would be covering new ground. I have no idea if the block had any changes to make it compatible with the DAMB heads used by Jaguar. I also don't know if the bell housing is the same.

If you choose to go ahead, please keep us posted.

x-type trans pics.

auto:
f7f5_1.JPG

Sept-19-08%20(270).JPG

Thanks a lot for the pics Jim, I hope it to be a not so bad assembly process.

The only thing on the car now is the block, one of the heads is dammaged as the two cams :nonono: so I'm using the two cams from my friend also, I hope they are not rusty or anything, sinde the engine has been off a car for several years without oil cap.

It does look pretty compatable :shrug:.... I searched for those pics for my own curiosity, but it looks like it could be possible.

MARTINI, you should get on the jaguar forums and get some questions answered there......

I've done some search and ther is not much performance and mods information, at least not for recent cars, most of it is for classics

I thought terry haines problem with the LS block was the poor casting process which made him worry when using the front to back mounted LS engine in a transverse mounting position.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=757940&Search=true#Post757940

I think you are better off using the contour heads then finding an x-type head to replace the damaged head, unless you have some method of controlling the VVT.
I really dont know what the other differences are between the x-type block and the taurus/sable/escape 3.0 other than damb.

why isnt this in the 3 liter forum?

Well glad to see the forum up again!!

The damm jaguar bloxk was damaged so i'm keeping mine and replace everithing needed now the engine is dissasembled.

The back head is dammaged as the two cams. I've four some on e-bay for $230 the headand $80 each cam.

I believe SVT cams have a yellow strip which direfenciate them visualy from regular 2.5 cams, but as I see these do no t have them.

Here are the pics of a '99 CSVT, come on I need your advise on this:

Attachments

• 102_0983.jpg
    102_0983.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 102_0973.jpg
    102_0973.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
what in the world happened to that car :shocked:

something is weird with the cams. its appears that the very front one in the pic has a green strip which iirc indicated a SE cam. but the one next to it seems to have a blue strip.

iirc the SVT have orange strips.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here, but they way I'm reading this, you have one damaged SVT head with damaged SVT cams, and you want to replace that with 3L parts but keep the other SVT head/cams? :help: Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

what in the world happened to that car :shocked:

something is weird with the cams. its appears that the very front one in the pic has a green strip which iirc indicated a SE cam. but the one next to it seems to have a blue strip.

iirc the SVT have orange strips.

Well It's a totalled Contour. It's supposed or claimed to be a '99 SVT which is being sold in parts. The pictures posted were sent by the seller. Kind of suspicious because they are very cheap compared with other options I've evaluated. And to get brand new I'll have to sell a kidney...

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here, but they way I'm reading this, you have one damaged SVT head with damaged SVT cams, and you want to replace that with 3L parts but keep the other SVT head/cams? :help: Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

My sad story is I've always wanted a CSVT. I made a extensive search to find a good option, here in Mexico there are very few of them.

Got a 2000 silver frost, 73k miles, excelent interior condition and a few details outside. The second week there was a problem with thermostat / waterpump. The upper water hoose blew, ran out of coolant, water pump shaft failed so the pulley moved towards the cast and machined it (wath happend first of all of this... don't know). The engine heated up.

So the engine got disasembled and the back head lost it's shape because of the hich heat and the two cams were damager also.

Now I friend had a full Jaguar X-type engine 3.0L, which block comes from the duratec family, so de Idea was to build an hybrid.

At the end we aborted the plan of the hybrid project, so the 2.5 SVT will be build again, take advantage of the engine taken apart to replace other hoses, gaskets, check clutch, etc. (recomendations on this will be apreciated)... but I still need the head and the two cams.

I miss my car! :cry:

I hope you checked the vin to make sure that it was a real SVT ....

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=articles&display=1

Great info to know where all those numbers come from!!

Yep the car was checked all around, documentation, payments, etc. before I got it. It was great, ran very good. Just had a little hessitation arround some mid gas pedal position... thought spark plugs or wires.. it had a nology set which we thought had resistance to the spark .. but replaced the wires and still made it, let's see if it does not have it once we build the engine again.

Back