• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Contour Clutch

Shaneomatic

New CEG'er
What is the best clutch/pressure plate kit recommended for a Contour SVT? I'm not racing this car so I don't need a stage 3 or whatever. I heard the oem svt clutch is the best but I also heard it's no longer made. I've seen the LUK clutch's but I hear they fail alot... I'm new to the whole svtc thing but not to Ford. I have a zx2 S/R that I've swapped to manual and i race that. I'm just not to sure about the SVT. I've had it a week and I got it all apart but I'm looking for a good long lasting clutch. I'm looking at the F1 stage 1 clutch.. Is this a good investment? Any feed back would be appreciated. thank you.

I blew my clutch last spring with my fully bolted on 3L. I put another luck OEM clutch right back in. I have had it in for a pretty rough 10k miles and never had a problem and never had it slip. From what I know its the most reliable one for the most part.

OEM SVT LuK clutch kit on my 2.5 Roush Cougar - and I do race it. It's been on for 50,000 miles now, no issues. I'd install another one if it came down to it.

Ok so what you guys are saying is the LUK clutch is a reproduced OEM SVT clutch? Alright, I might just go with that one. I'll punch on the car I know but I'm not ever taking it to the track or whatever, just driving it. That was my point...since the transmission is off might as well put a stage 1 in it but if the OEM is lasting that long for you guys who do beat on it alot it should work fine for me driving it daily. Thanks for the feed back guys.

Ok, that makes since. Thanks for clearing up all the B.S. info that gets passed around. I'm ordering the Luk clutch this week.

Another thing... I worked on the svt alittle today and I'm just about done on top with the transmission removal. I need to separate the clutch line from the slave cylinder. I didn't mess with it to much yet, but is there a special trick or tool to remove the line from the slave? I don't wanna risk destroying the line if there is.

The LuK clutch being sold from parts stores or websites is not the same as the LuK installed by Ford.

The OEM SVT clutch is LuK but it's only available from Ford dealers. The LuK 07-137 clutch is more the equivalent to the non-SVT V6 Contour/Mystique/Cougar OEM Sachs clutch.

I just had the 07-137 installed in my Cougar and it drives perfect, but it's just a stock daily driver.

I believe when I ordered mine, it was from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford. That's where I would start - with Bill, or with Steve at Tousley Ford.

Well, you gotta pay to play... and ok i hope the clip comes right off. I didn't mess with it too much. Its got some rust and build up on it. I'll clean that crap off and hopefully it comes off. I hate those slave/throw out bearings. I like my slave cylinder on my zx2, super easy. I'm not looking forward to the subframe either, but I've pulled motors in and out of 6th gen maximas alot so I'm assuming it can't be heavier than that. I'll just buy the Luk cluch kit I found online. If it works for some of the 3L guys it should do fine for me just daily driving it.

Back