• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT bogging down/running rich

Con2er

CEG'er
I recently noticed my SVT is periodically bogging down. It has died a couple of times at idle, but I first noticed it while in cruise. While cruising regardless of speed I can hear the exhaust note drop and a second later come back to normal. This is accompanied by a slight surge. I got the code read, but didn't get the actual code from the guy at O'Reillys. He said it was running rich. My first thought is that it could be a fuel injector. I replaced all the fuel injectors 5-6 years ago. Long story short it was a dirty connector not a bad injector at that time. I used some cheap after market injectors, so I'm dubious of their reliability. Is there any way to determine if it's maybe a fuel injector sticking open? I still have the original injectors, so I could just reinstall them, but is there anything I should do first?

So Last night I checked my air filter and it was fine. I also cleaned my MAF and air temp sensor. My check engine light went off and I didn't notice any bogging down today.

So Last night I checked my air filter and it was fine. I also cleaned my MAF and air temp sensor. My check engine light went off and I didn't notice any bogging down today.

I need the actual code to figure out the issue. Running rich can be anything from excess fuel pressure to misfires, and a plugged exhaust.

You could buy a cheap code reader ...even if you buy an XCal, it's money very well spent .I've saved an absolute fortune in garage bills over the years....G.

Yeah, mistake #1 is not getting that code yourself, don't rely on them even telling you the number, insist on seeing it yourself on the reader and WRITE IT DOWN. I used to insist on customers doing that when I ran codes on their cars. Failing that you are at the mercy of the parts guy telling you whatever and I can personally vouch for the fact they care more about selling expensive parts than they do about you and your wallet. The incentive thing pushes them to mis-sell LOTS of stuff.

Like OP, changing all injectors, that's just unheard of needing to be done, wasted money. Now gets told by the parts guy and following that and death to pocketbook lies there. Yet, still no code........................LOL, I have met the enemy and he is ME.

Yeah, mistake #1 is not getting that code yourself, don't rely on them even telling you the number, insist on seeing it yourself on the reader and WRITE IT DOWN. I used to insist on customers doing that when I ran codes on their cars. Failing that you are at the mercy of the parts guy telling you whatever and I can personally vouch for the fact they care more about selling expensive parts than they do about you and your wallet. The incentive thing pushes them to mis-sell LOTS of stuff.

Like OP, changing all injectors, that's just unheard of needing to be done, wasted money. Now gets told by the parts guy and following that and death to pocketbook lies there. Yet, still no code........................LOL, I have met the enemy and he is ME.

It also can be a fuel regulator as well. Depending on what year it is, Fords do have a fuel pressure switch, which can be monitored by the scan tool. Need the year to determine that.

Back