• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

supercharge me

At this point reliability has been a huge issue with this supercharger. To my knowledge, there is nobody that has had it running for any substantial period of time. The bearings are too weak and have been burning up. This would probably require some work to get working correctly.

ok just looking, it seems cheap with an unusual place but interesting very

I guess I am better of with 3l build up and some nitro

what do you think

The stock boost on those is 5-6 psi I believe. That amount of boost on a 2.5 will not make much more than a 3L and will not have the reliability of a well built 3L.

how is the 3l work goin, you should make pictures, i think I will be doing it within next 3 months, will you change compression ration by porting it,
what are you doing for intake, as far as filling the spaces, ????

So far the 3L has been going great. I've read and read for about a year before I decided to dive into this project. I'm porting the heads so they I can use the 2.5 manifolds. This will not change the compression ratio. I'm still split on whether or not I will fill the spaces using JB Weld or something similiar or if I will have them welded. I will get a quote on the welding and I will make my decision depending on the price. I have no pictures as of right now but I will post them up eventually.

i have the one that blackcoog got. it's a bigger compressor than the other ones people have been getting, and it's pushing 11psi out of the compressor outlet, which equals 7-8 after piping and intercooler. i had it working for a bit but i blew it out due to no blowoff valve, i forgot to hook it up and surged the compressor. the bearings are an issue. every other issue has been fixed by mr. knight and blackcoog, i may have to extend the main shaft in it and put a third bearing off the engine/supercharger mount, to spread the torque load on the bearings out which will virtually eliminate the side pressure that causes the failure. i'm going to try it one more time without changing it first. i have had people offer to buy mine, mostly because the kit i have is 90% different than the one mr. knight is selling. the downfall is you must get a custom coolant reservoir as the blower is almost as big as my head :D

i'll post up pics when i do it, but its my daily driver right now and i cant afford to break down on the way to work. this weekend i think i'm going to install it for another try. if it works for more than an oil change's worth of mileage, i might be accepting offers on it.....depending on how the power output is. it's goin on a 2.5L so we'll see.

i have a 100 shot on my car right now also...... if you want an easy build with low maintenance, get stock compression forged pistons for the 3L, build it oval port and run SVT cams , manifolds, and TB, and run a 150 progressive shot on it. easy 300 HP, i'd go as far to say 350 seein as my car with bolt ons and stock engine (150k) with a 75 shot did 268HP, and my clutch was bad. the 100 shot will do 300 im sure of it, and this is before the blower and new block, as i stated before.

How is this supercharger setup in terms of oiling? I don't really see anything in the ebay link above showing how its oiled.

it's not oiled, hence the bearing problems. the bearings are sealed and do not require oiling, and are rated for 100,000 RPM (yes i typed that right). at the boost level i'm geared for, it's pushing something like 54,000 RPM, which is fine. the problem with this is these bearings cannot handle much side pressure at all, and the bearings are so close together that the side pressure is rather large. the belt is cogged so it doesnt have to be tensioned hardly, but the torque on it is still there. i know how to fix it but it's gonna be hard to fabricate the part. i'tll basically go around the front of the pulley to the other side and it would have a third bearing on it so it would have a bearing on each end one in the center basically and this would virtually eliminate any side pressure loads.... (the twisting motion)

Thats kinda line of thought I was going with. The bearings are sealed, but the oil is used as a coolant as well. Whats the width of the unit? it may be easier to modify the mount plate and drop in a Vortech.

[edited] figured out the answer to my own question[/edited]
-Mark

Last edited:
it's not oiled, hence the bearing problems. the bearings are sealed and do not require oiling, and are rated for 100,000 RPM (yes i typed that right). at the boost level i'm geared for, it's pushing something like 54,000 RPM, which is fine. the problem with this is these bearings cannot handle much side pressure at all, and the bearings are so close together that the side pressure is rather large. the belt is cogged so it doesnt have to be tensioned hardly, but the torque on it is still there. i know how to fix it but it's gonna be hard to fabricate the part. i'tll basically go around the front of the pulley to the other side and it would have a third bearing on it so it would have a bearing on each end one in the center basically and this would virtually eliminate any side pressure loads.... (the twisting motion)

So, if you're pushing 54k rpm, how much boost do you think you are geared for? And what compressor are you actually running?

i couldnt tell you what the compressor is acutally made out of. all the systems are a turbo housing minus the exhaust side, and a machined plate setup on the back side. 54k rpm is 11psi at the compressor according to mr. knight. heat build up is not an issue. the thing runs ice cold, you could chill a beer on it. the problem is the bearing side load, its like putting a bearing in a small wheel and running it at a 45 degree angle with tons of pressure on it. it'll tear the seal up and throw it inside the bearing.......they are tiny bearings. i'll make this thing work, and from there i'll decide what i want to do for my engine build. im waiting on a coolant reservoir which will take a couple weeks to get.

There is no room for a vortech unit with that setup. Any supercharger head unit is significantly larger than the compressor housing used in the TK kit.

i couldnt tell you what the compressor is acutally made out of. all the systems are a turbo housing minus the exhaust side, and a machined plate setup on the back side. 54k rpm is 11psi at the compressor according to mr. knight.

I realize that its a turbo compressor, it looks like a T4 housing, but the reason I ask, is because I can't find ANY turbo compressors that can support a 1.75 pressure ratio (11psi) at a 54k rpm shaft speed. Any of the T04B and T04E series compressors I looked at need 90k rpm or even more to even hope to support 11psi. The best I could find at 54k rpm was more like a 1.4 PR, which is more like 6 psi. And this is all pretty much regardless of flow rate.

This leads me to believe your whole story is pretty fishy. Either your getting taken for a ride because of your lack of engineering knowledge, or your trying to take us for a ride . . .

i couldnt tell you. i dont sit around trying to figure it out....and i dont care either way, its not working yet. this is what chris has told me. feel free to argue im really not here for that, im just stating that i have the kit. it may go up for sale but im not sure yet. and im not trying to take you for a ride, it really doesnt matter to me what psi it pushes because im not feeling it in the seat yet!

could you do like a spring loaded 3rd pulley to act as a tensioner for the supercharger belt heres a pic of rotrex looks cool http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0412tur_hks_rortrex_supercharger/photo_02.html to distribute the force a lil more evenly? or does it have one already, or im retarded. dont mind me. looks cool. I wish I had that on my car wow. How bout just run a lil less aggressive pulley or somethin dam. again just shoot me sorry.

I realize that its a turbo compressor, it looks like a T4 housing, but the reason I ask, is because I can't find ANY turbo compressors that can support a 1.75 pressure ratio (11psi) at a 54k rpm shaft speed. Any of the T04B and T04E series compressors I looked at need 90k rpm or even more to even hope to support 11psi. The best I could find at 54k rpm was more like a 1.4 PR, which is more like 6 psi. And this is all pretty much regardless of flow rate.

This leads me to believe your whole story is pretty fishy. Either your getting taken for a ride because of your lack of engineering knowledge, or your trying to take us for a ride . . .

A T68-1, a T70, or a T72 compressor will all do 1.6-1.7 or better around that RPM range.
A T66 might get you 1.5PR

Did anyone identify it is a TO4e housing?

Back