• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

summer ride on winter tires

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
how is the ride on "winter" tires.
is there alot of road noise?
i'm considering purchasing some 17's with the below tires:
**Dunlop Graspic DS2 215/45-17 snow tires**
i'm installing on a stock 1998 SE.
i doubt there will be rubbing.....what do you guys think:
rubbing?
road noise?
ride?

Thanks fellas !

no rub

no rub

Definitely no rubbing, you can do a 225/45-17 safely on the majority of Contiques. That's what I run.

Noise won't be that bad either. What will stink: squirmy handling, feels cushy and soft. And the tread, it will wear down fast as its a soft winter compound.

I had a noticeable "whirring" after putting my yokohama ig20's on. I'm running 205/60/16 with no rubbing issues on stock suspension. I did also notice kicking the crap out of all kinds of snowy roads.

You can get performance winter tires also.
I have 205/55/17 V-rated Hankook snows and the ride is like a performance all season. Unless you drive in alot of deep snow, I'd look into performance snow tires.
-J

i have 4 really tough snow tires on '95 mystique v6, big tread with holes for studs...considerably more noisy but handles well and is tolerable. i like them cause i live on dirt roads and in summer rain can make them bad as snow.

mike

r these 17s going to also be summer wheels? r u gonna mount and dismount the snow tires off the wheels every winter? 17inch snow tires are a waste. just get 15s (195/60 195/65?) or 16s (205/55 205/60) the thinner the tires the easier it'll cut thru snow. dont bother with a 215/45/17 snow tire. performance snow tires seem a waste to me. i never understood them. unless u live where u barely get snow then maybe. to get better performance in the winter, you compromise snow performance, just like hipo summer tires compromise on treadlife, its all a give and take. in the winter i'm concerned about not getting stuck in snow or ice, being able to get thru 3-6 inches of snow without losing control, i could care less if my snow tires are capable of 150mph. get me to work and school then i'll have my fun in the summer. but thats just my opinion. do what works for u.

r these 17s going to also be summer wheels? r u gonna mount and dismount the snow tires off the wheels every winter? 17inch snow tires are a waste. just get 15s (195/60 195/65?) or 16s (205/55 205/60) the thinner the tires the easier it'll cut thru snow. dont bother with a 215/45/17 snow tire. performance snow tires seem a waste to me. i never understood them. unless u live where u barely get snow then maybe. to get better performance in the winter, you compromise snow performance, just like hipo summer tires compromise on treadlife, its all a give and take. in the winter i'm concerned about not getting stuck in snow or ice, being able to get thru 3-6 inches of snow without losing control, i could care less if my snow tires are capable of 150mph. get me to work and school then i'll have my fun in the summer. but thats just my opinion. do what works for u.

thanks dude. i decided not to get those tires.
i really want some FSVT's with some all seasons.
i'll just have to lurk like a vulture till i find some reasonable ones.
this guy had some 17's w/ snow tires on the focus website so i considered them, but nyaahhh.

Back