• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sudden Acceleration

lmroy

New CEG'er
I have a 1999 Ford Contour. I have exhausted all my means. I'm down to no more ideas on how to fix this problem. The car while in drive and going at a slow speed, like 10-20 mph, will all of a sudden accelerate and I literally have to ride the brakes and when I try to come to a stop, it has a hard time stopping, like it's getting to much gas.

I've replaced,
  • fuel pump, starter, EDR Modulator, 02 sensors, radiator, thermostat, water pump, plugs and wires, fuel filter, Engine Iginition Coil Pack, alternator, throttle position sensor and sealed all the vacuum hoses.

...but you completely skipped the Idle Air Control Valve. Which would have been the FIRST thing most people would suspect.

I don't understand why half of the items you listed where replaced in relation to this issue.

I would clean/change the IAC as mentioned. Perform a throttle hang fix and make sure the tb is clean.

BTW, what is a EDM modulator? I have never once heard of this items, let alone in relation to a Contour.

I just wanted to give a list of everything I've change so far, which may have not been related to the acceleration. They just needed to be changed. :)

Back