• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Subwoofer recomendations

OK, I've searched around some more and wanted some opinions on how the Tang Band 5.25 mid range woofers stack up against products like

CDT audio CL-5 midrange
JL Audio XR525CW midrange
Image dynamics 5.25 midrange
Audiobahn AMD50Q

Any others out there? I couldn't really find solid tech specs on the above speakers, so do any of you have direct expereince with these brands/speakers or know where to find info like Xmax, Vas, Qts, Qms? Most of these speakers are just the woofers of the respectives brand's component systems sold a la carte.

yeah all of the others you listed are for midbass and from wht youve said your looking for a subwoofer. id personally stick with the tangband 5.25s

I would describe the tangbands as midbass/woofers rather than subbass drivers, but with cabin gain they can dig deep enough to produce some subbass. My perspective on what constitutes a subwoofer might be a bit different than most, though.

I have more questions... The TBs are rated at RMS 40w@ 4 ohms, but they are DVCs so how much power can you send them if I wire both subs in parrallel or in series (4 ohms load or 1 ohm load) I looked around on the internet at some DVC primers, but couldn't really find what I was looking for. Right now they are wired for a 4 ohm load of of what I think is a 40w rms mono amp(stock amp).

40 watts is 40 watts. No difference then 40 watts at 1 ohm or 4 watts and 4 ohm. if you wire them both together you can send them 80w rms. but you will lose left/right

ok, so I re-wired my sub following this diagram and now I have no sound...the only thing that I can think of is this.

Unlike the diagram in the link, the TB's DVC terminals are not paired (+/- side by side) they are grouped (+/+) on one side and (-/-) on the other. I wired the (+/-) inner terminals to each other like the diagram and the two outer terminals are conected to the amp...I'm assuming one of two things went wrong...
A) the wiring is completely wrong and will have to be redone (how?)
or
B) The Amp is not 4 ohm stable and possible has some kind of safe mode...hmmm
Any help is welcome.

Last edited:
is the stock subwoofer amplifier a monoblock or is stereo? if so, wire each speaker to 8 ohms and wire them up stereo. If the stock amp is mono it's not going to work anyway you wire it, unless you only run 1

8 ohm would be +/- on one side/coil and the other +/- hook it to the amplifier

because if its mono it would have to be 1 or 4 ohm stable.

Actually, if you got the 5.25's I linked you to there single voice coil (i just pulled it out of my bookshelf). the two tabs just give you different places to hook the wires it is not DVC.

first sub + goes to the amp +..- to the + on the second subwoofer and the - on the second to the - on the amp, that's an 8 ohm load.

so it would be:

amp (+)>>(+)woofer1(-)>>(+)woofer2(-)>>(-)amp

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking to begin with either. Then I got to thinking, wait a minute... I specifically remember mine being single 4 ohm and I pulled them out of the bookshelf just to make sure.

They should work perfect wired at 8 ohm.

Back