• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Subframe Connector interest check

Is there any closer pics to welding points to sort of guide the people who will be doing this to the car so we do have a good idea? I guess OCD is kicking in on this project, for me, hehe.

i dont have any closer pics than that. there are no set points. whoever welds them in just finds some good spots they like. theoretically you could almost weld all the way along the bar if you wanted to

Found the following; not sure if anyone cares.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ated 5-1.pdf

Page 82 Section 14.2

H. Longitudinal (fore-aft) subframe connectors (“SFCs”) are permitted
with the following restrictions:
1. They must only connect previously unconnected boxed frame rails
on unibody vehicles.
2. Each SFC must attach at no more than 3 points on the unibody
(e.g., front, rear, and 1 point in between such as a seat mount
brace or rocker box brace).
3. SFCs must be bolted in place and not welded.
4. No cutting of OE subframes or floorpan stampings is permitted.
Drilling is permitted for mounting bolts only.
5. No cross-car/lateral/triangulated connections directly between the
driver’s side and passenger’s side SFCs are permitted. Connections to OE components such as tunnel braces or closure panels
via bolts are allowed and count as the third point of attachment.
No alteration to the OE components is permitted.
6. SFCs may not be used to attach other components (including but
not limited to torque arm front mounts or driveshaft loops) and
may serve no other purpose.

Good thinking...and on that note, i found this right out of the 2014 SCCA Solo Rule Book,Steet Prepared....

Section 15.2.E. Longitudinal (fore-aft) subframe connectors (SFCs) are permitted with the following restrictions: 1. They must only connect previously unconnected boxed frame rails on unibody vehicles. 2. Each SFC must attach at no more than three points on the unibody (e.g., front, rear, and one point in between such as a seat mount brace or rocker box brace). 3. SFCs must be bolted or welded, but welding must be to the OE subframe stampings, not to the floor pan in between. 4. No cutting of OE subframes or floorpan stampings is permitted. Drilling is permitted for mounting bolts only. 5. No cross-car/lateral/triangulated connections directly between the driver’s side and passenger’s side SFCs are permitted. Connections to OE components such as tunnel braces or closure panels via bolts are allowed and count as the third point of attachment. No alteration to the OE components is permitted. 6. SFCs may not be used to attach other components (including but not limited to torque arm front mounts or driveshaft loops) and may serve no other purpose

I run SMF and it says to refer back to that. So basically, the only difference is section 3 where it says they can be welded.

i need to go over the numbers with john in detail. might be a few days.

Any updates? Trying to plan garage time from now til winter. Think these might be shipped by November? Or are we looking more towards spring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Good thinking...and on that note, i found this right out of the 2014 SCCA Solo Rule Book,Steet Prepared....

Section 15.2.E. Longitudinal (fore-aft) subframe connectors (SFCs) are permitted with the following restrictions: 1. They must only connect previously unconnected boxed frame rails on unibody vehicles. 2. Each SFC must attach at no more than three points on the unibody (e.g., front, rear, and one point in between such as a seat mount brace or rocker box brace). 3. SFCs must be bolted or welded, but welding must be to the OE subframe stampings, not to the floor pan in between. 4. No cutting of OE subframes or floorpan stampings is permitted. Drilling is permitted for mounting bolts only. 5. No cross-car/lateral/triangulated connections directly between the driver’s side and passenger’s side SFCs are permitted. Connections to OE components such as tunnel braces or closure panels via bolts are allowed and count as the third point of attachment. No alteration to the OE components is permitted. 6. SFCs may not be used to attach other components (including but not limited to torque arm front mounts or driveshaft loops) and may serve no other purpose

I run SMF and it says to refer back to that. So basically, the only difference is section 3 where it says they can be welded.

Thanks for referencing the 2014 book, vs the 2013 I had used.

Back