• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stuttering

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
When I am stopped at a light or anything for that fact, my car starts to stutter unless i throw it in neutral. If i keep it in drive, i have to hit the gas to keep the car running. Don't really know what all info you guys need, so just tell me ^.^

96 GL ATX 2L 4cylinder.

Thanks in advance.

Post the CEL code.

Check the engine/tranny mounts.

When was the last time the tranny fluid was changed?

New tranny was just put in like..10k miles ago.

I will get a code tomorrow and post it.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to think it is a lean code or an O2 sensor code. Does it ALWAYS stutter, or does it only do it sometimes?

The culprit?

o2 censor.

Codes - P0135, P0141

The guy said i could try to run some ejector cleaner through it to see if its just clogged. Now to find out how to replace the censor!

This indicates that BOTH of your O2 sensors are bad.

Don't worry, they are easy. Most trouble I had was getting the upper one in because a coolant line is in the way. It was tough to thread it, but probably cuz I bought a crappy sensor. The upper one is directly above the cat, and the lower one is directly below the cat right along the bend in the exhaust that goes around the oil pan. Absolute cake.

Going to wait for the step dad to get home and ask him if he would do it this weekend, to ensure i don't mess up my car anymore.

Any other CEG'ers in your area? I think it'd be worth it to swap O2 sensors and see if the codes come back, because it could be a wiring issue. :cry:

Any other CEG'ers in your area? I think it'd be worth it to swap O2 sensors and see if the codes come back, because it could be a wiring issue. :cry:

It will hopefully be done this weekend, just have to ask the step dad.

I might text clay when he gets off work though.

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0135 - [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit fault - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0141 - [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit fault - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]

don't replace the sensors yet. check your heated O2 sensor fuse in the engine bay fuse panel. that would cause heater codes for both O2 sensors.

you also need to check the wiring on both sensors to make sure there isn't an issue if it is in fact the fuse.

There was a 25amp one in there, i replaced it.

I still have the problem.

Since when i tested the codes and those are the only ones that came up, and replacing the fuse didnt help wouldn't the codes be the same?

was the fuse bad? it takes time, some drive cycles for codes to clear themselves. if you didnt clear them they might not have cleared themselves yet.

if the fuse had blown check it again.

Back