• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stupid California Law

Lavell

CEG'er
I have a stock exhaust manifold on my 96 Contour Zetec engine. I want to put some headers on it for better performance. I'm willing to either relocate the cat or gut it altogether. But as we all know, California has strict laws that doesn't allow you to do such things. My questions are:

1) Are there any headers out there for the Zetec engine that will allow you to keep the cat in the current location and offer better performance that the stock manifold?

2) Is there anyone here that's close to where I live (Moreno Valley; right next to Riverside in the Inland Empire) that can fabricate some headers if required for a reasonable price?

3) Is there a workaround to get these headers and still comply with this stupid California law?

If any of you have got the answers to these questions, please shed some light for me on this topic.:help: Thank you very much. I know this is a sensitive topic, so feel free to PM me if necessary.

Mods, please forgive me for posting this in the "California" section. I posted these questions in this section because we are the only state with such regulations and I figured only California CEGers will be able to help me.

http://www.racepages.com/parts/headers/ford/focus.html

h5686016.jpg

j211680sjs.jpg

Not positive if they fit, however, but I think it should.

That's a very good find Zorrex. It's California legal and it looks like it will fit on the engine. My only question would be will the stock cat fit on the header?

I'd say just do it. As long as you dont throw up a cel just do it. Most smog stations don't really pay attention to everything you have on your car or at least to the ones i've been to .As long as you have a cat you should be good.

Any mod to the exhaust system before the cat has to get a CARB certification in order to be legal. Most manufacturers cant or dont want to go through the hassle so they just advertise them for off road use. If it says 50 state legal then they probably got the CARB sticker. GO for it.

Thank you very much Heywood for sharing that important information with me. It makes a lot of sense. I will use this as the #1 factor in getting new headers.:)

Any mod to the exhaust system before the cat has to get a CARB certification in order to be legal. Most manufacturers cant or dont want to go through the hassle so they just advertise them for off road use. If it says 50 state legal then they probably got the CARB sticker. GO for it.

Carb stickers don't mean much in this state. They will still pass emissions but on the other hand based on the California Vehicle code, Mods to the exhaust are illegal and you can be cited for it.

What is your experience with this? If it is legal for emissions then why is it illegal to modify the exhaust? And does this apply to cat back mods or just headers and the like?

It is supposedly the same here in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, I'm unsure of the details. I do know, however, that MA gives me a heck of a time with inspection with my stock, resonator removed SVT exhaust on my Zetec. I try to explain to the inspection station that it is just an exhaust off a special edition Contour that is stock, thus making it legal, but I always get hassled. I can't imagine what would happen if I had a header. They pop the hood and inspect. However, in MA, SRIs are legal.

Unfortunateley the modified exhaust law is vague. The only thing really giving it merit is that it states "Any modification to your exhaust". With that inline "TECHNICALLY" you can be cited for an aftermarket muffler. Usually you won't be hassled. However if its too obnoxious they will pull that card. I won't do headers on my drutec becasue its a pain in the ass. I thought the Zetec headers were much easier to change out? When smog testing comes up I pull my CAI and drop my stock airbox back in for the few minutes it takes. I've passed with a hiflo cat my last 2 tests. It seems though it will need replacing by the next one...ack.

I have been cited in the past for modified exhaust. I could not find the Vehicle code that states it is illegal. I know it is out there. It is a matter if the agencies want to enforce it. A lot of cops out there have custom exhaust on there cars. Weather the law is vague or not it is still the law. They can cite you for a fix it ticket.

I take it that you have been through this situation before? Do you have headers on your SVT now?

I work at a auto shop that smogs. When someone brings in a car that has headers on it , We look for the C.A.R.B. tag, We need the CARB tag number so we can put it in the computer when we smog it . We need the CARB tag number for anything after market like headers, cold air intakes, throtle body spacers and so on.

Oh and no i don't have headers on my CSVT Yet but soon will.

That's very good information. Working at a auto shop, you do know what you're talking about!:wave: Too bad you're in Redding. Otherwise, I would be coming to you for my smog tests.;)

I work at a auto shop that smogs. When someone brings in a car that has headers on it , We look for the C.A.R.B. tag, We need the CARB tag number so we can put it in the computer when we smog it . We need the CARB tag number for anything after market like headers, cold air intakes, throtle body spacers and so on.

Oh and no i don't have headers on my CSVT Yet but soon will.

Back