• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strongest trunk strut available?

muntus

Veteran CEG'er
I'm in the process of deadening my car for acoustic purposes. I did a great job on the trunk lid, which means I added quite a few pounds to it. Now, I need new struts to hold the lid up. It still works, but as they were worn before, now I've got to make sure it is fully up or it comes down.

I don't have a spoiler, but it makes sense that the struts for use with a spoiler would be stronger than those for use with lids with no spoiler. Does anyone know if this is an accurate assumption? Are there stronger units available than stock? I would prefer not to add an electric actuator.

i don't know about spoiler vs. no spoiler, because when i removed my spoiler it wasn't much weight at all. You might have to take them out and try to find something similar size but more strength, a guarentee would be a strut from some kind of hatchback, i know hood struts for a mid 80's camaro aren't long but are very strong.

There is specific struts for spoiler and no spoiler. No spoiler struts are actually more expensive right now from Ford.

Back