• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strange (But not a bad thing)

mcgarvey

Veteran CEG'er
About a month ago I had to redo the timing belt on my 00 Mystique because of a noisy idler pulley. I went ahead and replaced the whole belt even though it had just been done 20k miles previously. Ever since that the car (supposedly, anyway-- it's the old lady's daily driver) has been getting somewhat better gas mileage. It seems to have increased to about a consisent 30 mpg from a previous average of around 26. However, she reports that the high-end acceleration is slightly decreased.

Now, we either have a case of women just being women, or a timing issue. However, with gas at $4 a gallon, I'm not really sure if it's an issue at all. It certainly is possible that I didn't have the crank exactly at TDC when I did it because I couldn't find my timing pin, so it may be just a bit out. What I can't seem to figure out right now because it's early in the morning is if these symptoms indicate advanced or retarded valve timing.

At this point, I don't really want to do anything. I don't drive the car, I don't care about going fast. And if the gas mileage is better, why should I complain. I certainly don't think it's hurting the car in any way.

Any opinions?

cam timing is everything on the zetec engines. i read an article a while back about a turbo focus, with stock cam timing the power just kind of leveled off around 4500 RPMs. they retarded the cams a couple degrees and gained 40HP :shocked: this was a completly stock engine with cam gears and a turbo.

because of that, it sounds like your cams may be slightly advanced. However, i wouldnt worry about since the car runs just fine and its getting better MPG.

When I get home tonight I'll test drive it, and if I feel that the power is adequate for safe operation, I'm not messing with it. It's pretty clear that the stock valve timing is a compromise between power and economy. I guess I just tipped the scale toward the latter.

This is one of the few times in my life I'm happy I screwed something up.

Sounds decent the way it is. Try it with the AC and rear defroster on. My car doesn't even feel like it wants to go with those on. I can't imagine with even less power.

Power is adequate even with all of that. When I say adequate, I mean slow like every zetec, but feels perfect in normal driving.

Anyone want me to repeat my "mistake" on their car?

Back