• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Still three codes!

Reebs

meester super sleuth
For those of you who don't know my story, my 96 2.5L MTX Contour was throwing 9 codes. I replaced a bunch of stuff and did a complete upper and lower intake manifolds rebuild and I still had 4 codes that would not go away. Within the last week I got one of those fixed, so now I am down to three codes! The car runs great, except for a very high idle at 2000k which probally is the reason for my first code (P1506 = IAC overspeed). I tried to clean my old IAC and I bought a new gasket... no luck. I then tried to different used IAC's that were known to be good... no luck. I finally went out and bought a brand new IAC and gasket... no luck. The other codes may help you guys figure out what is wrong if the codes all relate to each other, so here they are... P0171 (Lean Bank 1) and P0174 (Lean Bank 2). I replaced my upstream bank 1 (firewall side) o2 sensor. I am getting sick of these codes because I am trying to sell the car and codes do not help a car sell! :bah: Please throw me some suggestions!

Thanks,

Reebs

From TSB,

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The code is set when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

Fuel System:
· Contaminated fuel injectors
· Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel (fuel pump, filter, fuel supply line restrictions)
· Vapor recovery system (VMV)

Induction System:
· MAF contamination
· Air leaks between the MAF and throttle body
· Vacuum leaks
· PCV system concern
· Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
· Leaking gasket
· Stuck EGR valve
· Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
· Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S
· Secondary air concern
Powertrain Control System:
· PCM concern

P0174 is Bank 2.

Have tried testing/checking all the cheap and easy ones from the above list yet?
Cleaning MAF, check for vacuum leaks, EGR suck test, exhaust leaks, oil dipstick, etc.

Thanks Tony. I actually have something like what you listed for my P1506 from TSB, but I didn't have that for my lean codes. So thank you very much! By the way what is TSB and where do you get that helpful info from for other codes?

Yes I have tried many of the cheap fixes... I did the EGR suck test, actually my EGR was causing a code but a changed my DPFE and also had to replace my EGR Valve. I cleaned my MAF, checked the dipstick, etc...

But I am not sure how to check for vacuum leaks. Is it possible that one of my new upper or lower intake manifold gaskets was bad and is causing a leak there!?!? I know the hoses on the Contour are brittle and actually I broke 1 or 2 of them but I thought I fixed them well to prevent a vacuum leak. Is there any easy way to find a vacuum leak?

I should just take it to Stazi who lives close to me! :crazy:

Thanks guys.

Reebs

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin (a how-to provided by Ford to its dealers to diagnose certain problems).
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB0197HO2SServiceTips.htm

For a vacuum leak, a cheap test is to spray carb cleaner or propane on the gaskets or tubing, if the idle changes, you found your leak. Note it could be more than one leak. Yes, a worn out (or incorrectly torqued) intake mainfold gasket could cause vacuum leaks.

Most of "my" suggestions come from searching the "old' forums. One or two (maybe three) are from my own experience.

Yes, I would enlist the help of local CEGers whenever possible.

Last edited:
check for vacuum leaks by spraying "carb starter", ether, (etc) in to different areas of the engine while running. If it is picked up through a leak and taken in to the engine, it will cause it to change idle drastically.

Be careful not to accidently let it drift in to the air filter itself as that will cause a false positive and you will be chasing something that doesn't exist in that area.

Back