• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stereo Static

Ok I dug a little further and found what should have the cylindrical plug on it but it has been cut off. I'm not sure if this can be replaced or not so I'm going to have to call around. Thanks for all the help.

The square plug appears to be an expansion module, whether for sat. radio or external CD changer, or something similar. My Clarion has one (called Ce-Net) and my Pioneer does too (can't remember what they call it though). You plug it into the HU, and it adds a new completely controllable source to the unit.If that plug doesn't match anything on the back of the Alpine, then it may have been left in the car during a system change/upgrade. Is there a changer in the car?

Looking at this picture:
attachment.php

it appears the antenna wire pulled out of the plug. That silver 'c' shaped thing is the antenna plug itself. It should pull out of the black piece if you pull hard enough.

Last edited:
No, No changer. I spoke with mickey shorr and they said they don't sell the little plug I need. I'm going to try a few other stores or even a junkyard to try to find the male end to the antenna wire so that I can cut it off and rewire it into the contour.

No, No changer. I spoke with mickey shorr and they said they don't sell the little plug I need. I'm going to try a few other stores or even a junkyard to try to find the male end to the antenna wire so that I can cut it off and rewire it into the contour.

First off.... Taped connections make me sick.... Here's what your looking at though... Okay guys, that plug is nothing of what you think it is! The plug, is for the factory amp! If you drop your glove your box, and follow that cable, which more commonly in the audio world referred to as a Din cable, runs from the factory head unit to the factory amp.... And then from there the wires run to the speakers.... Which has NOTHING to do with the antenna.... the black cord that dangles off your alpine deck is for the antenna.... an from what it looks like yeah, the antenna is broke off, but you can fix it if you know what your doing. They sell ends you just have to go get one..... I've fixed many an antenna end.... Back to the din cable though. Now, I would suggest bypassing the factory amp, since your HU already has a built in amplifier. You'll also save yourself from having to worry about blowing up the factory amp. Plus if you integrate with the amp, you usually have it where if your turn your deck up like from 5 to 10 it's blaring insanely loud. So basically I'm telling you to bypass it... Which from your picture I can see some speaker wire, but I don't know if it's run for a bypass or not, which I'm thinking it is if your blu/wht wire isn't hooked up on the factory side, because that turns on the factory amp. What you should do is run the blu/wht from the deck, to the solid blue on the factory harness adapter, assuming you have ford harness adapter and didn't just hack off the factory one and try to hardwire it..... The reason for that is, if you hook it blue to blue... then every time you put in a cd your antenna is going to go down, then when you switch to tuner, it'll go up again... I'd just hook the power antenna to the blu/wht on the deck so it's up all the time, but hey that's just personal preference....... All in all.... Bypass the amp, Get a new end for the antenna, blu/wht on deck to blue in harness... and should be all good to go.... If you need some explanation or details on how to do some of this, just drop a line...

Back to the din cable though. Now, I would suggest bypassing the factory amp, since your HU already has a built in amplifier...I'm telling you to bypass it... Which from your picture I can see some speaker wire, but I don't know if it's run for a bypass or not, which I'm thinking it is if your blu/wht wire isn't hooked up on the factory side, because that turns on the factory amp. What you should do is run the blu/wht from the deck, to the solid blue on the factory harness adapter, assuming you have ford harness adapter and didn't just hack off the factory one and try to hardwire it.
IIRC, he said the amp plug was loose behind the unit, so I think the factory amp has already been bypassed. Whoever did it got lazy and didn't pull the amp, just left everything tucked up in there.

The square plug appears to be an expansion module, whether for sat. radio or external CD changer, or something similar. My Clarion has one (called Ce-Net) and my Pioneer does too (can't remember what they call it though). You plug it into the HU, and it adds a new completely controllable source to the unit.If that plug doesn't match anything on the back of the Alpine, then it may have been left in the car during a system change/upgrade. Is there a changer in the car?

Looking at this picture:
attachment.php

it appears the antenna wire pulled out of the plug. That silver 'c' shaped thing is the antenna plug itself. It should pull out of the black piece if you pull hard enough.

IIRC, he said the amp plug was loose behind the unit, so I think the factory amp has already been bypassed. Whoever did it got lazy and didn't pull the amp, just left everything tucked up in there.

1. Pioneer is called IP-Bus......

2. Why would you pull the factory amp out.... Just unplug the factory radio, bypass the amp, and put the din cable back in the dash in case you decide to sell the car in the future, that way the factory audio system can still be used should you sell the vehicle and pull your aftermarket HU out...

Radio Shack should have the male "motorola plug" that the end of your antenna wire needs. They did when I needed to replave mine. Note: soldering required. It may even be possible to reconnect the plug that you pulled out of the Alpine's socket.

2. Why would you pull the factory amp out.... Just unplug the factory radio, bypass the amp, and put the din cable back in the dash in case you decide to sell the car in the future, that way the factory audio system can still be used should you sell the vehicle and pull your aftermarket HU out...
My HU got the sledgehammer mod after I removed it. :D Very satisfying mod considering how much trouble the stock CD unit gave me. So if I sell the car and remove the system, I'll have to buy a cheapie CD player anyway. Plus, pulling the amp can free up mounting space for other goodies, such as remote mount satellite receivers, etc.

My HU got the sledgehammer mod after I removed it. :D Very satisfying mod considering how much trouble the stock CD unit gave me. So if I sell the car and remove the system, I'll have to buy a cheapie CD player anyway. Plus, pulling the amp can free up mounting space for other goodies, such as remote mount satellite receivers, etc.

That's true, but the dash behind the radio has tons of room already too... either way... Nice use of the BFH! :) lol

That's true, but the dash behind the radio has tons of room already too
Weird. Mine is pretty tight on space behind the HU. Damn near couldn't get the HU to seat itself in the sleeve.
Nice use of the BFH! :) lol
It was freakin' great! Plastic went flying everywhere! :laugh: The stock CD player started giving me probs while under warranty. Damn dealer gave me a half-assed repaired unit that never worked quite right and had half the lights burned out. I felt SOOOOOOO much better after whacking it repeatedly with a 15 lb. sledge!

Weird. Mine is pretty tight on space behind the HU. Damn near couldn't get the HU to seat itself in the sleeve.

It was freakin' great! Plastic went flying everywhere! :laugh: The stock CD player started giving me probs while under warranty. Damn dealer gave me a half-assed repaired unit that never worked quite right and had half the lights burned out. I felt SOOOOOOO much better after whacking it repeatedly with a 15 lb. sledge!

Could be because I have an SVT and you don't? maybe...? Mounting depth that is....

Ok so I'm going to get the adapter I need today to fix the antenna, should I solder it in or just crimp the cable to the new plug? Also I plan on putting in a new harness since this one was a hack job should I solder those as well or just crimp them?

Sometimes a harness (from Alpine and the Ford adapter harness) already has bullet plugs, if so just use them. If not, Solder/shrink tube harness connections after joining them (slide shrink tube on first before connecting, otherwise no way to get it on there). My antenna wire was tricky, had to solder the tip wire and trim it off. Shield wire goes to barrel, I soldered that too.

Sometimes a harness (from Alpine and the Ford adapter harness) already has bullet plugs, if so just use them. If not, Solder/shrink tube harness connections after joining them (slide shrink tube on first before connecting, otherwise no way to get it on there). My antenna wire was tricky, had to solder the tip wire and trim it off. Shield wire goes to barrel, I soldered that too.

I found the best way to get that tip cleaned off after you solder and trim it is to take a file and file down the copper and the solder if it's overdone... Just make sure the shielding copper is long enough, that it's going to reach the barrel. Usually the ends come with rubber covers that slide up the end, so just got to make sure you put the rubber end on the antenna first, before you start to attach your antenna end...

Alright. So I went ahead and soldered and shrink wrapped all the connections after trimming the wires down. Then I tapes them together so that they weren't just laying in there all loose just to get re-tangled up; all in all I think that it came out pretty good and definitely a lot cleaner looking. Heres the after pictures. Not too bad for a stereo noob I dont think. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Attachments

• DSC02204.jpg
    DSC02204.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02203.jpg
    DSC02203.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
Looks good :cool: although it looks like blue/white wire goes nowhere. Must be you have no amp. Were you as successful with the antenna?

Back