• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ST220 IAC gasket

SJon85

Veteran CEG'er
Tonight I started to install my ST220 uim and already have some questions. I am also going to swap over to the COP setup to eliminate cramming the coil pack behind the st220 somehow.

First off, I took the IAC off the taurus uim to use on the st220 manifold when I realized that the gasket from the taurus manifold will not work on the st220. Something like the stock 2.5 IAC gasket is what I need but they are slightly different as well. What has everyone else done to get around this? I can get pics if needed.

Now for the COP I tried doing the wiring once before when I originally built my 3L but failed to succeed. I remember there being some drawings etc but cannot seem to find any of them, anyone have any links or tips?

Yea some engine sealant would probably work just fine but wont be very removable friendly which is fine. Still curious to see what others have done.

Not engine sealant. GASKET MATERIAL. They sell a packet of different gasket material at autozone for like $2-$4. Cut to fit. :rolleyes:

which valve covers are you using? I thought the cop units didnt fit with the St220 manifold. Maybe it was just the 04-05 valve covers? not sure.

I could probably just cut a 2.5l iac gasket to fit since I have like 5 of them. And psyclone I did forget that the COP units wont clear the ST220, I have the 04-05 3L valve covers. I guess I will have to stuff my coil pack back there somehow, going to be a PITA.

I could probably just cut a 2.5l iac gasket to fit since I have like 5 of them. And psyclone I did forget that the COP units wont clear the ST220, I have the 04-05 3L valve covers. I guess I will have to stuff my coil pack back there somehow, going to be a PITA.

I have the ST220 IAC valve with the gasket that it was installed with. I'll have to dig it out of the parts bin I have and take some comparison pictures to the 2.5 gasket. As for the coil pack you could just mount it in the front like the ST220 has it :shrug: Or see where Bugzuki is at with his bracket design.

Haha I love how I managed to ignore all your suggestions of the gasket material at first, just picked some up and that stuff is pretty cool. I made the gasket for the IAC as well as the gasket for my 65mm TB with it, $4.99 for enough to screw it up and start over a couple times and still have plenty leftover.

The coil pack is my only real issue I have to get around now. Mounting it in the front is a good idea and would work if you didn't care about what your engine bay looked like, but I like to keep things neat and looking good. I tried placing it in several areas behind the manifold but couldn't get it to clear at all. So tomorrow I am going to see if it will work mounted on the side of the valve cover on the drivers side, I am afraid some of the spark wires won't be long enough to reach the spark plugs though.

Haha I love how I managed to ignore all your suggestions of the gasket material at first, just picked some up and that stuff is pretty cool. I made the gasket for the IAC as well as the gasket for my 65mm TB with it, $4.99 for enough to screw it up and start over a couple times and still have plenty leftover.

The coil pack is my only real issue I have to get around now. Mounting it in the front is a good idea and would work if you didn't care about what your engine bay looked like, but I like to keep things neat and looking good. I tried placing it in several areas behind the manifold but couldn't get it to clear at all. So tomorrow I am going to see if it will work mounted on the side of the valve cover on the drivers side, I am afraid some of the spark wires won't be long enough to reach the spark plugs though.

depending on the brand of wires you have cylinder 6 will be the hardest to reach. I have put the coil pack there on 2 different cars and 1 of them reached and one did not (had to use another long wire from another set). here are 2 pictures of the last one I did. its just some simple steel bar, 1/2" wide and ~1/8" thick. holds them tight and they arent going anywhere.

SSPX0522.jpg

and this one you can see that the wire for #6 just reaches.
SSPX0523.jpg

That's why you need to get yourself one of these...

fordmondeost2202002800x.jpg

I was going to say I know I need to get a convertable corvette, actually I will take the ZR1 instead.

Anyways I got the coil pack mounted today. Like I said I put it on the drivers side side of the rear valve cover if that makes sense, will try to get pics once everything is done. The wire for cylinder #4 was the only one that barely reached, but it worked out perfect.

you cant post images from netcarshow.com, they wont let you.

btw, im pretty sure that engine cover doesnt clear the hood on the Contour. at least, I thought i remembered reading that here at some point.

Fixed. Longer process... but whatever. Also the cover does fit (I have one ;))

I was going to say I know I need to get a convertable corvette, actually I will take the ZR1 instead.

Anyways I got the coil pack mounted today. Like I said I put it on the drivers side side of the rear valve cover if that makes sense, will try to get pics once everything is done. The wire for cylinder #4 was the only one that barely reached, but it worked out perfect.

Good to know.

Got around to working on this again today, and well it didn't turn out very good. Anyone know where I can find a replacement for the large vacuum tube on the rear of the intake manifold, or ideas on how to fix? Here is a pic of what happened, yes I have anger issues ok.
st220.jpg

And here is a pic of how I mounted the coil pack, it's not exactly pretty but I plan to come back and make a new mounting design for it with some paint when I get around to painting everything else.
coilpackst220-1.jpg

Back