• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedometer weirdness...

Thanks for all your Help Tony2005, Im all new to this contour stuff. Thats a part ill have to get at a dealership right? cost?

Well, All is well now I got the new VSS in wednesday night. It took a little of arm and hand tweeking. I got the old one out and where the wires meet the unit they were are exposed (too close to see with it in the tranny. When I was in there I also noticed a vaccum line was off the back of the engine that went to the intake, but get this, someone before me made a mess of the main electrical harness. I started to take tape off a large chunk floating under my intake. this is how it all played out:

From the battery terminal there was a 4 gauge wire and a 10 gauge wire, the 10 gauge went to ANOTHER BATTERY CLAMP where 2 large wires were attached, oui! then the large 4 gauge wire from the battery was going to a splice (all nice and sulfury) like one you use for a house (large with a bolt holding together and then went to whereever. My god what are people thinking especially when there was everything there to do it the right way. RANT RANT awwww! Well I just manuvered the large wire to fit up at the terminal, and moved the two red wires to the post. who would of thought, my light dont dim, car starts better , and the bass its harder.:mad: :crazy: :laugh: Thanks Tony2005

Last edited:
The weather stripping is there. Will this be something i can scan for or does the CEL need to be on? Besides the fact it only happen once and a while.

What is the PCM? Everything seems dry from the top, I could check the bottom, Should I consider taping up the connections?

"Will this be something i can scan for or does the CEL need to be on? Besides the fact it only happen once and a while."

If it is intermittent, you may be able to "catch" when it is pending. Do scan just in case you catch it.

"What is the PCM?"
Powertrain Control Module.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/6e/0900823d801bca6e.jsp

" Everything seems dry from the top, I could check the bottom, Should I consider taping up the connections?"
Yes.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1193985&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Last edited:
Caught a code at autozone P1518. Intake runner control stuck open. Also I realized that my CEL does not come on when i turn the key! I got hosed...
Meanwhile I stopped to get gas and got back in the car, put the key back in pushed the clutch in and nothing. Did it again and it started. Lost all memory in radio. Lost all power. I love my car! :mad:

just to let you guys know...i finally figured out what the problem was....i had a loose ground wire....tightened that little nut and all problems went away...the only thing i didn't check...

just to let you guys know...i finally figured out what the problem was....i had a loose ground wire....tightened that little nut and all problems went away...the only thing i didn't check...
Didn't Tony and I recommend checking the battery connection like, in October? :help: :shrug:

Anyway, congrats man. I know exactly how you felt when the problem went away, without needing an expensive overhaul. :cool:

Didn't Tony and I recommend checking the battery connection like, in October? :help: :shrug:

Anyway, congrats man. I know exactly how you felt when the problem went away, without needing an expensive overhaul. :cool:
ROTFL. Yes, post number 4 and 7 on this thread.

Glad all is well now. :cool:

Back