• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedo WAKEUP!

And checking for ac is very easy. Start the car and put a meter on ac and check voltage across the battery. Anything over .25V is no bueno.

If you want to rule out the alternator pull the battery light out of the dash and take a drive. It won't charge with it out. But when it comes to issues like this the first thing to do to diagnose it correctly is put a scope on the signal wires. Otherwise you basically have no idea what you are dealing with. Yeah not everybody has a scope but almost everybody has a buddy with one.

I like this thread.

Here is a new vid where I slap the car around a little bit:

The things that make that speedo jump are funny as hell. :laugh:

The speedo was acting up on our 00 SVT a couple weeks ago, which I believed to be a failing fuel pump. The needle would bounce around between 0-10 MPH while sitting at a dead stop. I noticed the voltage would dip a little around the same time, and the fuel pump made some strange noises. I would blip the throttle, voltage would regulate and the needle stopped moving. The fuel pump has been replaced and it hasn't done it since. I'm not saying it's your fuel pump at all, but strange things can happen to that speedo when the electrical is acting up.

Car isn't even running in this video and I still have speedo issues! Hahahahaha :confused:

I've replaced the entire cluster already, so it isn't the gauge or motor unfortunately :-/

Hahaha, no not that I can tell.

I'm going to pull the dash apart again and see if there is an obvious loose or frayed wire flopping around. This is driving me nuts!

Back