• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Solo92s10 Super Strong Bracket UPDATE

terryford8

CEG'er
Solo92s10 REAR SWAYBAR BRACKET UPGRADE…UPDATE
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?77328-How-to-make-new-rear-swaybar-brackets-on-subframe
I recently bought a brand new Ford rear Subframe for my 1999 Mercury Mystique and had to decide whether it needed reinforced swaybar brackets. The OEM unit I bought seemed to have a reinforced system that was better than earlier models(this is just my speculation)
After many restless nights I took my sawzall to the new unit and realize this was the right decision.
The beautiful brackets Solo made are so much better and I would recommend them to anybody
When I started cutting into the OEM piece it was clear that it wasn't as strong as I thought and the original factory brackets only bolt at one end. The one failure on my old unit with BAT 21mm bar was the bracket snapped where it slotted in. The Solo units use energy suspension brackets that bolt in at each end and appear much stronger. You can even get units with grease fittings
This isn't mean as a full blown how to as Solo92s10 has a very fine post already set up and in my case he went far out of his way to guide me thru the process. His knowledge you just can’t BUY!!!!!
Was just hoping this would show the same work being done on a more modern unit than the one used in the solo post.
Would also point out his way of using a chop saw saves so much time and makes it easier to cut the groves in the frame so the new bracket can drop in. I didn't have a chop saw available and truth be told they kinda scare me lol
thanks for looking
doug p
DSC_0087 LEE photo&.jpgDSC_3881 Solo brac&#.jpgDSC_3873 Solo brac&#.jpgDSC_3880 Solo brac&#.jpgDSC_3884 Solo brac&#.jpg

ANOTHER UPDATE FINAL EDITION
I took down the first photo i posted and replaced it with info kindly supplied by SOLO with his tip on how to weld new unit in place

today i tackled taking the other original OEM bracket off the subframe
This time i used a big hand grinding unit and it cut the job time by 80 per cent
This is just a quick Mockup so i can figure out where to weld the new backets to the subframe
IF THE PHOTOS ARE TOO BIG IF YOU RIGHT CLICK ON THEM//-- THEN CLICK VIEW IMAGE//-- THEY ARE EASIER TO SEE
thanks for looking
doug p

DSC_3903 rear subf.jpg

DSC_3907 New Subfr&.jpg

Last edited:
Great work on the subframe Doug. Only thing I see is that you mention in the picture moving the bracket back a little to match the oem bracket. You will want the new bracket out past like you have pictured. It needs to stick out a bit to accomodate for the larger bushing and different bushing bracket. Especially with your 21 mm sway bar. Need to make sure the bar doesn't hit the subframe which I had an issue with once before. That's why I keep the mounting bols as far out as possible as well.

Ok Solo
Thats awesome and to me very important information
I had thought putting in your beautiful brackets in the same place as OEM units was way to go
NOW I know 'I WAS WRONG' and will move them out as far as I can
Last thing I need is to have to take Subframe off and reweld
Can't thank you enough Solo//// and I would urge an member looking for stronger units to grab these up
One last though that was when i took OFF the OEM bracket// the nut// fell off rather easily
reinforcing my thought that these strong brackets are the way to go
DSC_3917 new subf&#114.jpg

DSC_3889 NEW SUBRFR&.jpg

DSC_3887 NEW SUBFRA&.jpg

DSC_3886 NEW SUBFRA&.jpg

Back