• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sob story

danq989

New CEG'er
I am (still) the original owner of my 1995 Contour SE 2.5L MTX with traction control, ABS, cloth seats, and 170K very enjoyable miles driven in CA, NY, and western WA.

However as she is way up in years and I figured it was time to send her to a new home. So I gave her away as a gift to my brother-in-law when he got his license last week. He's in his 20s but recently moved to the US from overseas - he never needed a car over there. It's his first car and I figured the old girl had plenty of life left - ran perfectly and had regular oil-changes and other maintenance her whole life.

Anyhow, long story short three days after the gifting and the engine is now totaled complete with thrown rod and a big hole in the drain pan. It's sitting in his driveway and I can't stand it so I'm towing the car back to my place and looking for a decent (and inexpensive) replacement 2.5L locally.

Anyone got a lead on one? I'd love to do the work myself, but I don't have all the equipment (tools, space and cherry-picker), so a lead on a good inexpensive wrench would also be welcome.

Thanks NW CEGers!

---danq989

There's definitely a lot of 2.5 and 3.0 engines out there.

Where are you located?

Unfortunately I'm in no condition to do an engine swap, let alone the condition of my garage! However there are folks around who can accomplish this. Just be patient and hopefully one of them will post up here.

Don't junk it! It's a nice car. If you decide to let it go post here first.

Thanks for the advice shotwell.

I admit that I had visions of a 3.0L transplant a few years ago, but it was running so well I didn't want to mess with a good thing (it was my daily driver). I suppose I'd be open to that line of thinking again now, depending on price vs. an in-good-shape 2.5L.

I'll check the forums for the answer, but do you know off the top of your head what a 3L motor with mods to fit my Contour would cost? Does being a '95 make it any harder to fit the 3L?

---danq989
P.S. I'm in Burien west of SeaTac

Back