• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Snow tires?

Derk-xB

CEG'er
I thought the xB did well in Salt Lake City during the winter, but my wife is now the main driver of the xB. She's a little worried about her commute - The Dalles to Hood River - during the winter, so I told her I'd ask around and see if anyone thinks snow tires would be a good idea.

I have a feeling that a good set of all-season tires will do just fine, especially since the car did just fine in Salt Lake.

Any input?

Front wheel drive and all season tires are pretty good in snow, but that's maybe not your only concern.

I-84 in the Columbia River Gorge gets some bad ice storms, enough to close it down a couple times each winter. Will her job close down when roads are iced over? You might ask neighbors and co-workers about getting studded tires. There's often a rush to get them around Thanksgiving.

A couple folks in the scion forum recommended studded tires. Hmmm...

Ashley's does rehab, so I don't think they'll be sticklers towards her if the interstate is shut down. Also, my supervising physician lives in Hood River and works here in The Dalles, so I'll ask him what he does for the winters.

Back