• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Smog Test

GT2SVT

CEG'er
alright guys check this out. I just recently had my car smogged, and they failed me on the visual cause of the aftermarket intake I had (Bomz racing, ebay buy) which was fine, that was my fault I forgot about taking it off.
So I come back with the stock intake. failed again. problem this time was I had tape covering the crack in the intake (which is why i bought the Bomz intake)
Do you guys think it was right for the tech to fail me cause I had tape covering a crack in my intake? the car passed emissions easily. but he gave me a hard time about the tape. I don't now maybe I'm wrong. So now I'm waiting on a replacement and my car is grounded till I get one.

I can lend you mine to go in and get the smog. I think its all BS as far as the intakes go. I have a stock filter with the airbox cut off it and they made me switch a stock one on. I have to get my 2.5 smogged at the moment.
Why would they test the car if it failed visual? That seems sketchy to me.

I can lend you mine to go in and get the smog. I think its all BS as far as the intakes go. I have a stock filter with the airbox cut off it and they made me switch a stock one on. I have to get my 2.5 smogged at the moment.
Why would they test the car if it failed visual? That seems sketchy to me.

yea the tech was being a punk. he should of done the visual before plugging all the info into the computer. he told me i was gonna fail, but said he has to continue the test because he already started it.
dude that would be sweet if I can borrow your intake. I really just need the accordian tube. I bought one from the classifed on this website but Striker hasn't sent it out yet cause of the severe weather cause a blackout in his area. So i'm not sure when I'm gonna get it.

Do you want to do it sometime this week? I am probably gonna take my car down to get smogged. If you wanted I could lend you the one from my spare svt if its just the accordion tube.
Do you have the fenderwell insert, thats the biggest pain and I don't have a spare of those.

yea if we can plan something on Monday that would be great, just PM your number and we'll keep in touch. I took my fenderwell insert out but they didn't notice it. maybe I should put that thing back in there just in case.

dont blame the techy, blame CA they have such strict laws on emmissions, but for the act on making you complete one test even though you were going to fail just cause he started it thing is totally crap, hope he didnt charge you for that test...

yea it was weak, I know some techs would of looked the other way, of course i get the one that was strickly by the book. It is a stupid california law, The funny thing was my car had better emmissions with the Ebay intake then the stock one! It really shouldn't matter whats on the car as long as it passes emmissions. Oh well, I got a stock intake from Striker and the car passed all tests. I can finally enjoy my car after 6 long months.

ive been using the same Shell test only for a few years.. my Sable wouldnt pass last year because of the TC not locking up completely, constantly threw a code. only good thing is.. I could clear it and it wouldn't come back until approx. 25 miles/restart the car. came on in the middle of a test unfortunately.. tech was cool enough to pull it off, cancel test, let me clear the code and drive around. brought it back 10 mins later and it passed..

while on the smog subject... is anyone running CA legal hdrs? I've seen a set of shortys that are approved on the CHP page...

i've been putting off gutting my pre-cats due for fear of failing in a few months.. even though the main cat's supposed to take over... anyone in CA fail due to gutted pre cats??

As long as you have a main cat you should pass. With the engine bay so tight in the Contour - I doubt you will fail the visual and no one here has ever reported they failed the visual.

As long as you have a main cat you should pass. With the engine bay so tight in the Contour - I doubt you will fail the visual and no one here has ever reported they failed the visual.

which one is the main cat? (sorry if its a dumb question) I'm guessing the one underneath is the main. yea i was looking for legal headers too, but I've read they are useless without a good y-pipe.

which one is the main cat? (sorry if its a dumb question) I'm guessing the one underneath is the main. yea i was looking for legal headers too, but I've read they are useless without a good y-pipe.

There are no smog legal headers for the contour,MSDS and Weapon R just don't feel like paying that 50,000 grand to get CARB approval. I have a shop that can pass people PM me.

Back