• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sliding sun screen on SVT moonroof...

keeno

CEG'er
The headliner material on the screen has come unglued and was flapping in the breeze. Ripped the rest off. How do you get the screen down to get it recovered. I just got a price of $85 from a local upholstery shop to remove and recover. If I could get it out and take it to them , I could save a few bucks. Anyone ever had this problem?

Let them do it. If they screw it up they have to fix it. If you screw it up, then you have to fix it on your own. It might cost you more in the long run if you try to do it.

They probably aren't going to remove the screen at all. What most shops do, and what I did on my Camaro's headliner, is to leave the headliner up and tuck the egdes.

You obviously mask off anything you don't want to get glue on near the spray area, blue painters tape works very well.

Trim the new material just slightly larger than the area you are covering (so you can tuck the edge under the trim).

Spray both the screen and the material you are using to cover it (usually foam backed felt/cloth) with yellow upholstery glue (you can use 3M super XX if you don't have access to other stuff, Super 77 works OK).

You let the glue set for 15mins-1hr depending on which glue you used, so it's almost completely dry. If you touch it and its very sticky, it's not dry enough yet.

Place the new material in the center, firmly and slowly work outwards.

Once you're at the edges, gently tuck the new material under the trim with a dull butter knife (or equivalent). If you have left too much material, trim with a very sharp exact-o knife.

If you get any glue on the plastic trim, just clean off with mineral spirits and a cloth.

I would try this first, and if it doean't work for you, all you're out is about $12 in supplies :cool: then you can take it and have them do it! Good luck.

Chas.

Back