• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sick of the Contour?

Sick of the Contour?

• Drive it off a cliff

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Sell it, its got to many problems

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Build it up to be a beast

Votes: 39 44.8%
  • Keep on maintaining it tell i can afford something better.

Votes: 34 39.1%

• Total voters
I didn't know you could ignore either...well to keep on subject here. I had some problems with my car but got them solved it's been a great car to me it's paid off and in great shape still drives like a dream (still can scare the crap outta people that ride with me) with this car. It now sits with a dead battery in my carport for the winter. In the spring I'm gonna put in a new battery get the tie rod end fixed get the small coolant leak fixed and do a tune up on it, and drive her some more. :) I'm gonna drive this car till the doors and wheels fall off it and rebuild it.....somehow. :)

Honestly, shut the **** up and leave the forum. If it isn't you making a post about how sick you are of the car, or how its worthless to mod since you can't put the power to the ground then you are just making stupid or negative comments about how somebody shouldn't even look at an tuner because they didn't type correctly and other such comments. I don't know if there is a way to block specific users posts from being shown for me, but I am going to look into it.

And **** your biased poll too. I enjoy the car and if there was an option for 'Enjoy it since its paid off, preforms well, is problem free (for me anyways) I would have choosen it.

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

On a side note, my first contour was so friggen good i never should have gotten rid of it. My SVT has had so many things replaced under warrenty and it still has so many squeaks and rattles, some things work, others dont. It's just a piss off, i think im one of the few who has constant problems.

My brothers SVT is absolutly perfect compared to mine, it drives like a new car, looks like a new car, dosent have problems, and is a blast to drive. Meh.. who knows.

I don't think I'll ever get sick of Contours. My mod list just keeps on growing with my 98. My 00 will hit the road in a few months once the engine gets installed.

The enjoyment I get from these cars outweighs the maintenance that is involved with owning them. I never want to get rid of mine. :cool:

I love my 99 CSVT I haven't had any major problems with it except for the Shifter tower that I am dealing with now(which kinda pisses me off I haven't been able to drive the car since july) but other that that,the car is amazing!The fact that it is so rare is a big plus for me and it can run with car more than twice what it is worth,not even mention when you get into the twisties.The one other thing that does bothers me is that it is hard to extract extra powwer from this engine,compared to modern cars of today.BUT BURRITA'S TURBO KITS SHOULD DEF. FIX THAT!!!:)

def. keep on maintaining it but damm that mod bug is a killer once it hits :blackeye:

If I could afford a new car, I wouldnt think twice selling mine

def. keep on maintaining it but damm that mod bug is a killer once it hits :blackeye:

If I could afford a new car, I wouldnt think twice selling mine

Def agree with ya Goonz on that one!If I could afford an evo/cobra or sti I would sell mine in a heartbeat,but only for the simple fact that it is easier and cheaper to make them stupid fast then the contour.

All cars have problems.

Objectively speaking I see no evidence that these cars are more problematic than average. My cars are both very strong for their age. Most 12 year old cars don't look and drive as nice as my 95 Contour.

I agree. I've had quite a few problems with my car...but it is 9 years old...quickly closing in on a decade.

Every time i have to fix crap on my car everyone tells me I should get rid of it :blackeye: ...I justify it by saying that its a good learning experience :D ...plus I know there's no way i could get for the car what i've put into it.

Realistically, I've been driving contiques for a long time, and I've really been getting the itch for something new lately. I'm hoping this car will last me 2 more years then hopefully i'll have a good enough financial situation to get something new(er).

....Until then I'll keep doing little mods here and there to keep myself interested.

well since i buy it my svt run good about 3000 or 5000 milles then broke from somthing an engine, transmission , electrical, or something else buth like a 100% contour svt fan , i love my svt i have spend a lot of money on it like many of you buth i still have it and whant to keep 10 or more years is a good car i like a lot since the first time i see the road test in a car magazine i want to make my svt one of the fastest contour around here LOL

Def agree with ya Goonz on that one!If I could afford an evo/cobra or sti I would sell mine in a heartbeat,but only for the simple fact that it is easier and cheaper to make them stupid fast then the contour.

That is pretty much the reason why i dont like the contour. Its hard to save for a better car when the one you have needs some money dropped into it.

If i was just looking to have fun with the contour im sure it wouldent bother me, i would probably be turbocharged.. But then id be driving the wrong wheels.

I dunno just personal preference. If it were up to me, in a couple years ill buy a CSVT with a blown engine, turbo 3L with all the goodies and use that as a DD.

...Every time i have to fix crap on my car everyone tells me I should get rid of it .....I justify it by saying that .....
(+1 billion). ....... I have saved an average of $4K to $5K every year since 2000. :laugh:

Well, actually I don't have to justify it to anyone, but I do advise people to hold on to their vehicles when it is all paid off. But they usually don't listen and then go out and trade it in for $1K or so and then pick up a $25K to $30K car and then complain about having to worry about not making their budget for the month. :shrug: I do have a few friends (outside of Contour.org) who have the same mentality like me. Except that some are more extreme. They buy used cars at auctions for $500 or less, then spend about $200 or so to fix it up to "safe condition", and drive it like a "disposable car", as in, 'if it "dies" in a year or so, well, I made out like a bandit.' Those are my buddies who have money socked away for the future. When I try to request a loan from them, they always tell me, "The reason why I am rich is because I never lend money to anyone". :laugh:

1998 Svt

1998 Svt

Im pushing a 100k and aside from a new clutch [which was way too expensive to replace but certainly expected at 80K], an engine compartment which is as tight as a nate's ass, and the typical wear parts [brakes, tires, etc] she has been as solid as a rock and a blast to drive...my last car was a Cobra, speaking of a constant and expensive pain in the ass... .

Your poll doesn't give me my option. I love my SVT! Unfortunately, it makes more sense for me to sell it, than it does to keep it. It is paid off, and I do have another car that I make payments on, but that's my own choice. I'd like to pay off a little bit of debt, do some stuff to the house, and really start to save some money away. That means selling the SVT. Now, it's just a matter of one of the three interested parties, coming to take a look at it, and driving it home! :cool:

Mark

I'm planning on assembling one very serious hot-rod SVT. Just need more:
1. TIME!!!
2. Bigger area to work in.
I have everything (and I truly mean everything) needed to modify this car now.

I’d originally planned to have a workshop completed last fall. Had to delay due to contractor problems. The attached garage on my house is simply too small for serious projects (drivetrain swaps)– especially since all the stuff that’s supposed to be in the workshop is stored in there!

I’ve more or less put my CSVT hobby car and parts in storage until I resolve the workshop problem. Besides, I have some other auto related hobby activity going on… I’ll post pictures if I make a deal! Interesting car…

My 2 pennies.

I absolutely LOVED my CSVT and often regret selling it. It wasn't the fastest I've owned, nor the most practical, but it was the funnest car I've ever had. After some mods (GCs, Konis, 19" Axis, Quaife, KKM, killer stereo, etc...) It was the best looking and driving car for the money on the road.

Every car is going to have it's fair share of problems, that's just part of vehicle ownership. They may not be quite as reliable as something like a Honda Accord, but like i said, which is more fun/looks better/reasonably priced to maintain? Even after owning 3 300zxs, a Tahoe, Eclipse turbo, CJ5 Jeep, Accord, Bronco, and even a Probe, all modified, I'm back in the market for another CSVT to play with. We'll see what happens...

I haven't had any major problems with my SE since I've owned it (July of '02 with 24K on it, now has 80K on it). It's had the timing belt, brakes, and a tie rod end go, not to mention everything that had to get fixed when I crashed it. I modded it a little bit to look like a "Sport" and a couple other aesthetic mods, but other than that, it will stay like it is. It's my daily driver and is still fun to drive after these last 4.5 years.

I've had the SVT since last April and the only problem I've had with it, other than what was already wrong with it when I bought it, is the clutch. It was my first stick shift car and I toasted the clutch out from me driving it and teaching my g/f to drive it :shrug: Oh well, I love to drive my SVT too. The only difference between the two is I get a helluva lot more looks in the SVT than I do in the SE. I love both cars and I think I won't ever get rid of the SVT and I will probably end up giving my SE to one of my younger brothers when I get a newer car sometime down the road.​

What an ass poll. What part of 'enthusiast' don't you get? Seriously, if this was a 'I hate my beater' board, then yeah, good post. Otherwise, what an absurd question to ask to people who love their cars.

I've had my SVT Contour for almost two years now and I still enjoy the drive. Grant it, it's no the faster car out their, but it is unique as in I only see another one like it on the road once in a blue moon. It would be nice if it had more power and was a little easier to get parts for it, but thats why I have my Camaro :)

Another selling point is that both my Camaro and my SVT are paid for so modifying them are a little easier for me. The only thing is that my SVT is also my daily driver so if I modify anything I need to be able to take it work the next day or atleast by the end of a weekend. However I can handle it.

The SVT is a lot better then my SHO as far as breaking down. So far I've just had minor problems most associated with BS recalls (aka 99M03)

Back