• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Short Throw Shifter??

:)

:)

Honestly the whole "Reverse Lockout" thing is dumb. I have never had a problem with "accidently" slipping my car into reverse. What exactly is the point of it?:confused:

there are also shift knobs made for reverse lockout cars. look around and you can find some. I have a voodoo knob on my car

Yeah ive heard there are but nowhere around my city has any. Sadly ill probably just wait and get a different one when i get the shifter and remove the lock.

search a lil there was a post about pics of knobs a few eeks back. order a nice ford knob there are a few different ones. oem looks better then rice remember that..

you can easily get rid of the reverse lockout by removing the small metal block that is bolted to the top of the shift tower.
you can just pop out the plastic 'ring' that holds the shift boot down, and it is visible, take out the bolt, remove the block and put the bolt back in, then snap the boot back into place.
all done.

Is it an aftermarket short throw shifter? If so a lot of times they have a pin running through the reverse lockout piece. Look down farther on the shaft of the shifter. If you can see a small pin in the groove of the reverse lockout that will need to be tapped out.

Why are you trying to remove the reverse lockout anyways?

Edit: Holy old post batman. Didn't catch that before

i did just remove the reverse lockout on my pre-98, but it was not easy. the pin was all jacked up and was about the hardest job i've had yet to get out. it was bent around both edges, and i wound up having to cut up the lockout plastic handle just in order to get to the pin. but, after that, it was easy. i pulled the handle off, then pulled the cable up and rubber banded it around the shifter, put the boot over it, then put my new knob (haha, knob) on.

the reason i did that was because i cut the shifter down a few inches. and, everybody you've heard who says it's an easy and very cool mod is dead right, it's only tough if your reverse lockout pin is screwed up.

i did just remove the reverse lockout on my pre-98, but it was not easy. the pin was all jacked up and was about the hardest job i've had yet to get out. it was bent around both edges, and i wound up having to cut up the lockout plastic handle just in order to get to the pin. but, after that, it was easy. i pulled the handle off, then pulled the cable up and rubber banded it around the shifter, put the boot over it, then put my new knob (haha, knob) on.

the reason i did that was because i cut the shifter down a few inches. and, everybody you've heard who says it's an easy and very cool mod is dead right, it's only tough if your reverse lockout pin is screwed up.
I didnt have to play with any pins at all.... I simply took off the plastis pieces connected to the shift boot. I have an aftermarket knob anyways....

I didnt have to play with any pins at all.... I simply took off the plastis pieces connected to the shift boot. I have an aftermarket knob anyways....

didn't you have a reverse lockout?

[edit]btw, if i cut the reverse lockout cable (this is speaking on a pre-98), and pull it out the bottom, so that metal piece that gets in the way of reverse at the bottom comes out, would that work? i don't wanna do it then realize i've done something terrible...

yes cut the cable and then pull it out the bottom of the shift lever. this will remove the reverse lockout on the shifter for all pre98 MTXs.

you seem to be the master of the shifters, striker, you should do a how-to! i think i might, since i still want to cut off another inch or two, although my pics couldn't include the reverse lockout, since it's destroyed!

i'm actually considering taking my shifter to a machine shop and getting it bent further towards me, since i hate having to reach so far. good idea?

the reverse lockout just screws out, and then slip the plastic sleeve off

not on pre98s. the "lever" for hte reverse lockout is held on by a pin through the cable that runs down the center of the shift lever. the easiest way i found to remove it is with a small c-clamp, #0 phillips screwdriver(or something similiar), and a socket thats big enough to keep from covering the opening. you then use the c-clamp to press the pin out. then you have to take a small flat blade screwdriver and pry the little plastic tab out of the slot and pull of fthe reverse lockout.

if there is anybody else that wants me to make a how-to for shortening the pre98 shifter pm me. if there is enough interest i will write up a how-to. i even have a second shifter i can use in the pictures.

Back