• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shifting issues

99svtc

CEG'er
Been having some shifting issues. Car off it shifts pretty smooth. At start up it's mostly impossible for 1st and reverse causing me in a lot of cases to start in reverse. After I start driving it clears up a little bit but still hard to get it into 1st at a stop.

Got underneath and the rear mount was bad so I replaced that. Also change the fluid making sure enough was in there(fill to spill on a level surface).

Thinking my shift cables may need adjusting. I know there is a tool to hold the shifter still but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Info on where to find one or other things to check would be appreciated.

99 SVT
110,xxx mi.

first off check where the shifter cables connect to the transmission...it tends to get worn or come off completely....may need to be replaced...i fixed my cable ends w/ a washer and c-clip,as have many others....you can access the ends on top of the trans. inside the driver's wheelwell....

Checked the shifter cable ends, no cracks or tears in the rubber. Pulled on them a bit and they're secure. Have not had a chance to bleed the clutch yet. I did hear a new noise today though making a left turn into a parking lot i'll have to check that out at the same time.

Thanks for that info. I just had it happen to me and I went down to local Autozone and picked up a shift bushing and clip. Much easier job if you have small hands :)

Bled the clutch, its not perfect, but it is better. Bled it 5 times. Might try to do it a few more times.

Back