• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shifter loose HELP

Svt Rickey

New CEG'er
So, in my 98 svt the shifter goes in gear no problem but then there is a lot of play side to side and up and down while in gear. Whats the cause of this?

I know we have a linkage setup where we push and pull on wires to get the tranny to go in the gears we want. So is it the wires are warn out? Is there an easier fix for this problem?

You might just need to adjust the cables. If you pull the drivers side tire and splash shield you should be able to inspect the cables and plastic cable ends for damage and play. Having someone in the car to wiggle the shifter helps.

my shifter was loose for years, I bought the car that way. so I didn't know it was supposed to be tighter. I found out something was missing when I changed the engine. the rubber bushing was missing and the cable was just barely hanging on all these years. I'm lucky it never came off. I went to the dealership and we couldn't find the bushing that goes in the white cable end that attaches to the transmission. so I fixed mine with fuel line hose. fits perfect.

2009_0718shifter0006.jpg

you can replace the entire ends of the older style cables and they come with new bushings. they are each under 10 bucks from teamfordparts.com

yea thats the after modification. I haven't had any problems since. its nice and tight now. its just an idea. don't get me wrong guys I'd rather have the OEM part and this was a temporary fix till I get the OEM part. but this thing is working fine, so I won't mess with it.

Yeah, my shift linkage popped off yesterday :D It was awesome.

I finally took the time to put that rubber bushing in. No more shifter play AND I won't have to worry about it popping off now.

damn, on the way home from school today i noticed mine has significantly more play now. like an inch, front or back, in i think any gear.

which means? :shrug:

also it seems my clutch doesnt engage until pretty close to the top of the pedal. is this normal?

i dont understand what the hose does exactly
dude you most likely need to get new cable ends that have the new bushings in them. However idk how your going to get them on if you needed to post about removing your battery. If you can wait a day or 2 I can get you the part number for the ends you will have just over 20 bucks in both of them after shipping from teamfordparts.com.

dude you most likely need to get new cable ends that have the new bushings in them. However idk how your going to get them on if you needed to post about removing your battery. If you can wait a day or 2 I can get you the part number for the ends you will have just over 20 bucks in both of them after shipping from teamfordparts.com.

well if theres a step by step guide with pics i can prob figure it out, otherwise i doubt i can do it. do you think its something i need to do soon since it sort of just got worse on my recent car ride(and will get worse) or can i put it off for a little while? I need to be able to drive but I have other things to do than take my car apart.

Back