• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shakes when i'm on e-way!!! 70+mph

Harrry

Addicted CEG'er
Here i go....
brand new 18's with all new tires. balanced and checked 2 times.
New struts and springs
New driver side ball joint
Driver side LCA just repalced brand new
Both outter tie rods repalaced.
Driver side wheel bearing replaced.
New passenger side axel replaced.

For some reason it still shakes.

I put my stock rims and tires on. and it feels better but it still shakes.

I am out of ideas. what do you guys think it is????

I have a 1999 svt with 65k on the clock..

This is a tough one to diagnose, because anything rotating on the car that is not perfectly true could cause the car to shake. But, with that said, 9 times out of 10 tire balance is the cause of car vibration.
Who checked the tire balance twice for you? I would try a different shop. Although balancing tires seems like an easy task, it apparently takes someone with half a brain to do it correctly.

i get vibration on the highway, but its my motor mounts.

but yeah its a hard one to say with some many things be possible.

Yes, check the engine/tranny mounts.

I just got new front motor mounts, which stazi installed. Poly urathane front moutns. The stock rear is still in good conition.

Even with both sets of wheels i still get shaking. Less shaking occurs with my 16's on. Well I have a huge amount of tread on them there my blizacks and have 2k miles on the tires.

i get vibration on the highway, but its my motor mounts.

but yeah its a hard one to say with some many things be possible.

This isn't vibration, this is shaking. Like i have a bent rim......

I really am stumped on this one.......

It's got me too the point where i might sell my car. It's pissing me off.

possibly a warped hub or rotor hat , take the wheel off secure the rotor to the hub and do a runout test with a micrometer

possibly a warped hub or rotor hat , take the wheel off secure the rotor to the hub and do a runout test with a micrometer

You know, i was looking at that the other day, when i put on my winter wheels. I might have to go back and check that out this weekend.

tks...

I hope i find something else that i have to buy for my car...........

Is my post invisible? the test I showed can be done at any tire place and it will show any fault with tire/rim, not just balance the tire. At least it will eliminate a bad tire/rim as the cause or at best tell you which tire or rim is messed up.

There is a new balance machine called the Hunter road force, gives better results, if you can find a shop that has one. My tires are currently balanced, which is odd because I never had them done, previous owner of car did. Usually it takes a few tries of rebalance to get it right. Make sure the hubcentric rings are there on the 18s.

Try this machine, here is an explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_Force_Variation
it is a load test to check tires and not just balance.
just a thought

Well to comment on this. i have 2 sets of rims, i had the ford dealership balance my 18inch Enkie rs5's second time around. The first time was done at bell tire locations.

It's not the lug nuts since i use a trq bar. I trq them down to ft-lbs.

It's something else......

Okay teh whole story with the wheels. I had my 17 enkie wheels on my car. I was driving on the free-way. And the tire just came apart. literally the tire was falling apart. So i got it towed home and i put my stock svt rims on. I drove with my stock rims on, and it drove with no problem at all. When the next summer came along i replaced my blown tire with a new one. I then put my 17's Rs5 on. It started shaking on the freeway. So i got them reblanced. Same problem occured again. So i decided to sell those 17 rs5's, which i did. The owner said he hasn't had problems with the tires and rims at all. He said his car ride smooth on the eway with my enkies on.

So now, i was confused. Stubborn as i am i decided, screw it i will order all new rims and tires. so i bought 18's rs5's with all new tires. Guess what same problem was there. I check the suspension and saw that the ball joint was bad. And the bushings on the driver side LCA was cracked. So i picked up a LCA with ball joint and had stazi install them. At first the car drove great on the e-way. after about 2 weeks the problem started to come back. Since i put maybe 6k a year on my car. i drove the company car around on the e-way. I left my car for city driving.(Too busy with work, didn't have time to deal with it). So last week i install my stock svt rims with my winter tires on them. And yup the problem is still there.

So this si where i am now....

After reaplacing alot of the front end. i am kinda lost for words. i will check the hub nut when i get some time from work. I hope its' that simple of a problem.

Last edited:
well i am getting it in the garage tomorrow. i hope this weekend i can find time to do the work i need on it...

Back