• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

scrubbing?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
so I got tired of going through the 215/40/17 ecstas and didn't haver money for anything better than a nankang ns1 in a bigger size right, well appearently nankang doesnt make a 235/40/17 right, well I said how about a 225/40, but the dumbass at griffin brothers failed to correct were the computer tried to correct for aspect ratio, and he ordered a 225/45/17.

I was pissed, but decided this was better than the donut that was on that corner, after making them prove to me that it would fit up front when I get the second one next week (still poor even with this new job). well I was cutting across the parking lot today and it scrubbed a little on my still not lowered back, so I'm wondering how quickly these things are going to rub through my fender liners up front as a projection as to how quickly I'm going to have to save up a fortune for a pair of 235/35/17 ecstas.

thanks for the input guys

it depends. I have 225/45/17 KDW2s on 17x7 wheels with a 40mm offset all around and am lowered on B&G springs. the only rubbing i had was in the rear, it would rub on the folded lip of the fender over even small bumps. after i rolled the fender, so the lip is now vertical and flat against the rest of the fender, there is no more rubbing. I think they only rubbed the fender liner on the front once and that was over a really big set of undulating bumps.

we really need more details about your wheels and suspension to tell you whether they are likely to rub or not.

I'm lowered on the 1.5" drop koni sport springs. they're supposedly the softest of the springs for our cars, because I didnt want the bouncemobile and I cant afford the greatest struts even when I can get some.

my rims are enkie PK-6, they came off a focus with SVT suspension, not sure if they even came in different offsets or what.

it looks like the PK6 in a 17x7 has a 38mm offset. which means they will extend 2mm farther out than my wheels. which means 225/45/17s will definitely rub on the rears, and maybe even the fronts.

your safest option is going to be to stick 215/45/17s. they are almost the exact same diameter as stock and clear without issues. 235/35s might clear but they are going to be extremely small and will look very weird in the wheel well. 235/40s are only a little smaller than stock so they might clear without issues but no guarantees.

yeah, 235/40 is what I originally looked for. the original ecstas where 215/40, which according to the aspect chart, is 1/4" total height shorter than a 235/35, and those never scrubbed.

the 225/45 scrubs in the back unlowered, but I didnt think about how much more flared the front arches are. FYI, I'd like to get 5mm wheel spacers as well, so yes, I need the most rubber band arse tires I can get. the 215 are out due to lack of traction (by my standards) and the fact that a) they wear too fast, and b) the sidewall distorts too much under the load of the car.

Back