• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Running rough and smoking

crackerican69

Veteran CEG'er
2 weeks ago, I was been having an intermittent hesitation/misfire, normally only in 1-2-3 gears, and only on first time driving during the day. Well all that changed last friday! while driving, the engine was bogging down and smoking horribly (billowing out with the hood closed). popped the hood to see it was coming from the back side of the motor. Managed to make it home without blowing up! then that night while driving, the CEL light started flashing. didnt count the first time, but the second time it blinked 76 TIMES!!! then it started blinking again, but it was 16 times. I had it scanned yesterday and came up a few things.

0174 \ both of which I knew about
0171 /
0352 (coil pack 2)
04-something or other (egr related)

now...I replaced the coil pack and spark plugs last weekend and now it wont stay running unless i step on the gas and it runs ROUGH!!! I checked and rechecked the firing order, plug gap, wire ends, plug to coil pack, new EGR valve, IAC, TPS, and used 2 different sets of wires...all with the same result. NOTHING except it runs without my foot on the gas!!! Anything else, possibly fuel related, or did i do damage to the internals???

I had a feeling it was due to the cracked head up front, but the more I think about it, the more I am affraid I will have the same issues afterwards.

HERE ARE @ VIDEOS
***Note the ground behind exhaust at the 1:00 mark

***This one has smoke

Perhaps you should get a coil pack connector and properly solder it in rather than post that picture and then honestly ask why its missing bad with coil codes....

:(

Steve-O
Ford Tech

What y-pipe or catalytic converter are you running? When my BAT y-pipe clogged, it ran rough as hell...smoked like hell from under the hood...blew the 2 little rubber hoses off the EGR module.

Turns out the BAT Y catalytic converter has a rep for degrading and clogging up.

hey Crackerican69,

1. that's a lot of water coming out of the exhaust..... is the water level in the motor falling ?

2. the smoke seems to coming from the rear... is it coming from the crankcase or from the header ?

3. noticed that the IACV intake pipe has been taken off (moosing pipe to the right of the TB) ...... is that silver pipe still clear (nothing been sucked in) ?

hope some of this helps .... G.

1. As far as i know, the levels were fine. when i drained the ystem, it had around 2 gallons in it. Some did spill on the ground though. the coolant light came on and stayed for about 5 Minutes and went off. That was the last day i drove it..

2. Cant fully determine if it is from the exhaust or the crankcase. At time it smelld like fuel, other times like oil, but mostly metallic. Like burning metal. (i used to work in a foundry so i know the smell).

3. The IAC and intake tube were taken off. I didnt want to put it back together if i was just going to have to pull it apart again! But it cobsistantly ran the same way, regardless of intake on or off. There is nothing lodged in the intake tube or EGR port on the nanifold. I have yet to get under the car fullt and inspwct the res of the EGR system.

1. As far as i know, the levels were fine. when i drained the ystem, it had around 2 gallons in it. Some did spill on the ground though. the coolant light came on and stayed for about 5 Minutes and went off. That was the last day i drove it.. .

I was looking for a headgasket issue ..... got a compression tester ?

2. Cant fully determine if it is from the exhaust or the crankcase. At time it smelld like fuel, other times like oil, but mostly metallic. Like burning metal. (i used to work in a foundry so i know the smell)..

might be worth removing the sump to see if there is any metal in it. Could also take the splash plate off and see if the crankshaft is blued from overheating.

3. The IAC and intake tube were taken off. I didnt want to put it back together if i was just going to have to pull it apart again! But it cobsistantly ran the same way, regardless of intake on or off. There is nothing lodged in the intake tube or EGR port on the nanifold. I have yet to get under the car fullt and inspwct the res of the EGR system.

that's good.

have you had the spark plugs out to see if they show any clues ? ..... G.

Plugs 2,3 5,& 6 were black after running for about 15 Minutes. As far as the original plugs, the only one i had an issue with was #6. Pretty black compared to the other 5. I have no compression tester. Ill be sure to drop the exhaust and see.

Thanks.

Yes Mark. I used 2 different plugs. It did stay running after I switched, but still ran like crap. I grabbed a set of Taurus injectors (late 90s 22#). Im.trying anything I can right now while i sgtill have the engine apart for the cylinder head replacement.

Is the car tuned? If not you should be running your stock injectors. It will run like crap/rich with those larger injectors in there if it isn't tuned.

With lean codes on both banks usually that points to a vacuum leak before the lower intake but after the MAF. Check all the lines around the upper intake and the intake boot. That could easily cause your running issues.

Since this is a ported build, who did the porting? Do you have porting plates on the heads? How are they secured to the heads? You are running a lower intake gasket on top of those porting plates correct?

Is the car tuned? If not you should be running your stock injectors. It will run like crap/rich with those larger injectors in there if it isn't tuned. With lean codes on both banks usually that points to a vacuum leak before the lower intake but after the MAF. Check all the lines around the upper intake and the intake boot. That could easily cause your running issues.

With lean codes on both banks usually that points to a vacuum leak before the lower intake but after the MAF. Check all the lines around the upper intake and the intake boot. That could easily cause your running issues.

Since this is a ported build, who did the porting? Do you have porting plates on the heads? How are they secured to the heads? You are running a lower intake gasket on top of those porting plates correct?

Not tuned. Haven't put the injectors in yet, but do have them.

I am pretty sure I took care of them. I had a major issue with starting the car right after the swap (lean both banks) and replaced the UIM/LIM gaskets and was fine ever since (just never had the codes cleared). So I think that is just a "lingering" code.

I did the porting myself (with blu's approval! :laugh:). I am using the plates and have everything installed in the proper order. I am also using Permatex gasket maker, however i don't recall exactly which one. NOT RTV! (head/sealer/plate/gasket/lim/gasket/uim)

I'd spray some carb cleaner at the porting plates when it's running to see if you can find any leaks (engine revs). Otherwise, spray around the PCV and valve cover breather lines. Carb cleaner will eat paint so don't spray it on your SVT intake or any painted surface.

Let me know what you find, because I am having the exact same issue with my T-Red Contour, which is 2.5L stock! I have replaced the Coil Pack, spark plugs, spark plug wires, valve cover gaskets, and I am to the point where I am like :confused:

My CEL is blinking none stop now. Misfire on 1, 2 and 3, and sometimes it shows 2 and 3 only.

Let me know what you find, because I am having the exact same issue with my T-Red Contour, which is 2.5L stock! I have replaced the Coil Pack, spark plugs, spark plug wires, valve cover gaskets, and I am to the point where I am like :confused:

My CEL is blinking none stop now. Misfire on 1, 2 and 3, and sometimes it shows 2 and 3 only.

Will do! I should be out working on the car tomorrow (67 degrees gets me re-motivated). I am going to check the wires from the coil plug going behind the motor. If the wires are good, I'll put it all back together and hope for the best. If I still have issues, I'll start searching for vacuum leaks. Then PCM, then I don't know what...

Would the crank case ventilation box thing going to the PCV valve being loose be a potential cause to my problem???

Back