• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

roll restrictors

mikeyp

CEG'er
do i need to polly both front and rear roll restrictors to stop wheel hop? if i do how does it afect the ride of my 98 svtc? what kind of fill does everyone recomend?

There is 94A(hardest) 80A and 60A(softer). I got the 80A polyurethane and I love them, didn't really get any vibrations in the car and I have like zero wheel hop, Im also slammed on coilovers though.

I'm using 94a in mine, the car has somevibration to it, I also have a dmd on the car as well. Wheels hop is greatly diminished, I also have Tubular LCA that might have helped out the situation.

Trying to cure hop with roll restrictors is silly. Restrictors just stop axial roll of the powertrain, while it could help a minor amount, you should be looking at firming up the shock/control arm assembly. That is where wheelhop occurs. In certain cases stiffening up the restrictors could even make hop worse.

ill try suspenstion first i guess. but why do people polly them if it doesnt do anything with performance? or does it with other mods added to the polly restrictors? where can i find tubluar LCA nezer? thanks this site is badass

Why do people poly? Mass marketing that's why. While powertrain windup could contribute a bit to hop by allowing for more oscillation, working on shock/spring better. That's because hop caused by tire biting in for traction, it rears up thus losing the traction and then that loss and spring pop it back down to repeat the process. Stiffen up shock and it cannot compress or extend as fast thus damping the process.

when the tire hops up and loses traction, the load that was on the engine is no longer there, then when the tire comes back down and regains traction the load is suddenly returned to the power/drivetrain. repeated hops can make the powertrain rock/rotate violently, if it isnt controlled by using poly (or solid) mounts you can very easily break drivetrain or exhaust parts. this is even worse on an AWD vehicle with a transverse engine as now the rocking causes the driveshaft, and thus the rear diff, to move up and down and back and forth as well.

so they are useful, but not very helpful in controlling the wheel hop itself.

Back