• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rocker Panel Replacements

mystiquevltwin

Hard-core CEG'er
I just bought 2 new rocker panels from a guy on eBay. Since there are a lot of people on here that have rusty panels, id share it on here.

Ill let you know how they are once they come.

eBay link

Rocker panels came today. They look really good! I cant tell how fitment will be since I havent cut anything off the car yet, but the curve and shape of the panels look spot on. I did notice that there are no triangle indents indicating where to jack the car. Other than that, they look to be pretty nice! Decent thickness for metal too. They feel solid.

2011-04-28_17-49-39_406.jpg

2011-04-28_17-49-54_246.jpg

2011-04-28_17-50-08_391.jpg

That is really awesome! I might buy some just so the new owner of the SVT I am fixing can do this repair if they want.

One other difference I noticed was the curve from the door sill to the curve as it goes under the car. It looks to be a little bit sharper of a curve than stock, but that observation was only a sight observation. I did not compare it to the car. It wont really matter if you cut it below that curve, so you can retain the factory curve.

The ebay seller that I posted still had some left, and for that price, its worth it just to have around. Im not sure how many he has or how long he will be selling them.

funny the sticker only specs them as 4dr. mercury mystique panels

Its not. I still need to get a welder and practice a little before ill feel comfortable doing this project. Not something I want to rush into...that's for sure. When things do start to come together...ill let people know.

Ok thanks, good luck, we'll both need it... I'm in the same boat. What kind of welder are you looking at? I should be able to borrow my father inlaws welder. He has a small 110V wire feed, with no gas, that should be good enough for sheet metal?? Does the rocker repair the jack point?? Cuz lately I've been jacking the front up by the subframe bolt, just behind the wheel.

110V wire feed is fine for this thickness of steel. Flux core wire (no gas) creates more spatter but it will work esp if you are welding outdoors on a windy day. I would use shielding gas if it were me. Tack weld everything in place and final weld in short beads spread out to minimize heat distortion. I believe it is recommended to disconnect the car battery when welding on the body.

My rockers are rotted at about the aft 3 feet. Are you going to replace the whole rocker or just the rotted area?

I might be able to salvage 10-20% of the original rocker, so I'm thinking I'll just get all new metal on there. Then I have to work my way up the rear quarter panels, on and off uptop the rear bumper... Mine is a lot of work, that's why I'm no sure about doing it, or just dealing with parting out an otherwise really nice car!!

For those in Canada they are made right here in Canada by Keystone. I got them direct from Brampton, Ontario Keystone warehouse. Bought a set for $70. Contact Joe Worron 905-850-1791 to order and arrange pick up.
Or you can order via http://www.crosscanadaparts.com/ will cost you more, essentially they come from Keystone anyway. Mine are due for replacement as well. Stupid road salt:(

Back