• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Road Trip!

Nice purchase Matty, car look sweet!!! I envy the cross ****ry adventure! Sue and I are going to be doing the MA to KY, KY to SC, SC to MA trip again in a few weeks...not sure that we get to bring the MSM though...might be a rental trip. Congrats again on the pick-up, I'm really psyched to see it in person.

BTW, I bet you put more mileage on that car than most of the people on this forum put on their SVTs in a year!

Thanks guys!! :)

TGO said:
though i would have hit the ground running in vegas....

so did you stop to change the oil or did you drive the whole way?? always curious about the 3000 mile limit on extended road trips.
Reno, sadly. No time to stop (I was on nearly 48 hours without a good sleep anyway) and it was actually pretty sketchy. Only a few people out and about.

I didn't change the oil, but I did have to add a quart about halfway though the trip. So I'm not sure if it burns any or if it was just the shock of so much driving (since it's never done nearly that much before). FMR12B had it changed recently and checked it the day before my trip. I'll check it regularly to see if it holds. Definitely needs an oil change now though.

The 3K mile deal is just a rule of thumb. I personally change every 5K on my Maxima (Mobil 1; it's had synthetic since day 1).

rocketmanrw said:
aww man you came all the way out and we didnt have a small meet?
I was in San Jose for a total of 1.5 hours on Wednesday! :( 11:45 AM arrive in Oakland airport, 1:00 arrive in San Jose (dad picked me up), meet FMR12B, look at the SVT, test drive, purchase, out of San Jose by 2:40. I met some friends for lunch in Milpitas and then we commenced the trip at 4pm.

Speaking of which, yes my dad was with me! Sorry if I didn't clarify in the original post. He arrived Sunday for some work in Milpitas.

It was sunny and 90° the entire way home! Not a drop of rain, or even clouds.

Cobra said:
I assume your keeping the Maxima for the beater? Now you can say you have a beater!! Will you be keeping the SVT in Manch?
My Maxima will be my daily driver (can't really call it a beater, it's nicer than the SVT!). That is parked on the street right now so I want to find some storage for the SVT asap .. preferably a garage.

Aaron98SE said:
lol...I bet you were taking full advantage of cruise control on some of those roads.
Believe it or not I never use cruise control. Don't even know if it works on the SVT or the Maxima - or any car I've owned. I don't like the feeling of being out of control. I will admit my foot was getting tired though! The SVT's gas pedal is much lighter than any car I've owned.

BTW, I bet you put more mileage on that car than most of the people on this forum put on their SVTs in a year!
Total was 3211 miles from San Jose to Millbury. I averaged 28-29MPG this trip, very surprising IMO!!!, see attachment for gas receipts. I had to use 89 octane twice in the midwest because I literally couldn't find 91+.

EDIT: CEG is a bit picky about attachment filename/filesizes. Remove the ".txt" so that the file extension becomes .csv (Comma Separated), and then it should open in Excel.

Attachments

• SVT Mileage.csv.txt
    921 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
holly crap matt, you finally got the beloved SVT you always wanted?! congrats!

wow goes to show how clueless I am now days on whats going on in CEG :(

Back