• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Road trip from Hell

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
Well Eurotour and I just returned from a 24 stint at the helm of an '89 F150 with a 4 speed and inline 6. He bought the truck since doing car hauling w/o one doesn't work so well. Fires up Craigs last week and finds a butt err beaut I mean. Strong runner and 45 minutes away. Pick up the truck Sat. Get the exhaust fixed for $20 at Midas and it received a clean bill except for the almost nonexistent rear shock bushings. Advised not to trailer anything until replaced.:laugh: Yeah right.

Fast forward to Tues. Try to pick up Uhaul trailer and head to Lexington, KY. Mike spends most of the A.M. getting the ball off the hitch for a larger one. They always want the larger one. Finally get it together and head south.
standard.jpg

Drive for a few hours and the sun sets. Turn on the lights and everything is a-ok. Hit a bump and lose interior lights, radio and rear running lights. We can do w/o the interior since we have a lighter.:help: The rears being out is a no go. Well we get a new fuse and we seem to be alright. That is until the next bump. Bam! Nothing. Realize hazards work great. Throw them on and keep trucking. Roll into Lex about 11pm at night. Find the car sitting behind a Pawn Shop!:shocked:

standard.jpg

Load it up and get on the road around midnight. Mike thinks we need to drive all the way back to MI so we're not hit with trailer fees for another day.:help: We've been up since around 8:30 AM Tues.:mad: Grab an energy drink or 4 and head back north.

standard.jpg

We finally roll back into MI at 10:30AM. Basically on the road for nearly 24 hrs straight. We pulled into a rest area and tried to do a 1 hr. power nap south of Ft. Wayne, IN. Rain is coming down so hard I don't feel like I got a wink but I think I eventually did right after we pulled back on the road. BTW Mike drove the entire time. I know I couldn't have. I'm typing this with a very wet right foot since the dash decided to spring a leak due to the massive amounts of rain. I think most of the trip was in pretty hard rain. As if things were bad enough. Finally home and I need a long le nap.:zzz:

8 ball shifter motherbishes!
standard.jpg

Wait, the car was at a pawn shop?!?

My best (and shortest) road trip ended when a semi took a turn too sharp at the stop light and smacked the front end of the Bonneville which cracked the headlight, bumper and radiator 30 seconds away from the house. I could not stop laughing.

Yea we passed on that one. This car is actually complete. The guy just lost elec. power and the car quit. It has rough paint but no major dents. Going to try to get it running and figure out what to do with it.

Yea we passed on that one. This car is actually complete. The guy just lost elec. power and the car quit. It has rough paint but no major dents. Going to try to get it running and figure out what to do with it.

Awsome man, good deal.

I am ready for a :censored::censored::censored::censored: storm. I would say between $800-$1000 for the truck and the car combined......

haha good to see you got it home todd/mike. good luck with fixin' her up. now get it runnin and sell it to meee :eek:

Well the trip was way worth it. Pickles put in a new battery today and it fired right up and drove. The previous owner said he was driving along and lost power. It helps not to have a battery meant for a Yugo! He stated gears 1-3-5 were "thin". As a Contour guy that means the bushing on the white cable end is in bad shape or in this case missing. Install new $15 cable end and you have yourself a fine automobile. :D

Well the trip was way worth it. Pickles put in a new battery today and it fired right up and drove. The previous owner said he was driving along and lost power. It helps not to have a battery meant for a Yugo! He stated gears 1-3-5 were "thin". As a Contour guy that means the bushing on the white cable end is in bad shape or in this case missing. Install new $15 cable end and you have yourself a fine automobile. :D

you guys suck! :laugh:

Back