• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

reverse lock-out removal

95tourdn9

New CEG'er
i have looked through a lot of posts looking for a post on how to remove the reverse lock-out on my 95 tour se...after awhile of looking with no results I decided to just go out there and figure it out my self...its pretty easy so I thought I would share it with everyone. And I know what everyone says why not just leave it, well I wanted to shorten my shifter so I would have to cut out the lock.
First your going to want to remove the shifter knob, and boot. On the side of the reverse lock-out ring there is a pin you have to pull out then remove the lock out ring, where the shifter and the floor meets there is another boot you need to pull off, under that is a c clamp that next needs to come off once you have that off pull the whole shifter out of the car, on the bottom of the shifter there is a rod that slides up and down push it up and on the top of the shifter you will see a cable and bulk head where the pin held the lock out ring in, cut the cable and pull the rod out of the bottom, re-install the shifter....and thats it i dont have my camera right now so i dont have any pics...ill try to post them as soon as i can

ahahha yeah but im cutting my shifter a few inchs and its going to be kinda hard to shortin the cable to so i removed the whole thing, and my car wont go from 5th to R so i dont have to worrie about it

ahahha yeah but im cutting my shifter a few inchs and its going to be kinda hard to shortin the cable to so i removed the whole thing, and my car wont go from 5th to R so i dont have to worrie about it
yeah, i did this a long time ago on my 97. i know i posted it somewhere (probably on the old forums).

it is not physically possible to go from 5th to reverse, even without the shifter reverse lockout, as there is a lockout INSIDE the transmission that requires you to go to neutral first.

yeah, i did this a long time ago on my 97. i know i posted it somewhere (probably on the old forums).

it is not physically possible to go from 5th to reverse, even without the shifter reverse lockout, as there is a lockout INSIDE the transmission that requires you to go to neutral first.

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to be funny.

Back