• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

replacing water pump on 99 2.0 mtx

tonglebeak

New CEG'er
...I'm just going to say that I absolutely hate newer cars. The engine bay reminds me of a sardine can...everything is jammed and packed into it.

That leads me to this: I was going to take a stab at replacing the water pump on my GF's 2.0. I had read the water pump replacement FAQ on this site and it appeared to be simple. I guess it's only for the V6 though...

Anyways, there's absolutely 0 room to get to the WP. I couldn't even remove the belt! What I thought was the belt tensioner, refused to move, but then again since all I could do was get fingers on it, it probably wouldn't have.

So, my question is: does anyone have an article or something on replacing the water pump on a 2.0l? I am baffled as to how to do it without yanking the whole motor out. Which I wouldn't be able to do anyways...

I'm not even sure if the water pump is bad anymore, but who knows. As long as the damn thing doesn't overheat then I might just hold off (original problem was sometimes car wouldn't retain heat while in motion. tstat was already replaced a couple weeks prior. Now it seems to work ok, but it won't hold a ton of heat (coolant loves to stay near C).

Before you do anything, break the water pump pulley bolts loose. They are 8mms and are not really on that tight, but you will need to do it with the belt still on. Drain the coolant. Take the passenger side wheel off and the splash panel that covers the engine pulleys. Using a 15mm (i think, maybe 13?) wrench, take the tension off the serpentine belt and slip it off the crank pulley. Now, finish removing those water pump pulley bolts, and remove the pulley. Put a floor jack with a block of wood under the oil pan, and jack the engine up slightly. This will allow you to access the 4 pump mounting bolts. Take them out, and then start trying to get the pump out from between the front of the engine and the fender. It's a pain, and you will have to twist it around a bit and raise and lower the engine with the jack. But give it a minute or two before you get frustrated, it will come out. Installation is the reverse. Don't even bother trying to tighten the WP pulley bolts until you've reinstalled the belt, it's impossible. And putting that belt on is no easy task in itself. Last time I did one I believe it took me about 1.5 hours start to finish.

Note: On earlier model Zetecs (95-97) you first have to remove the timing belt to access the water pump. Later ones use the "cartridge" pump, it's just a little square housing.

Ugh, this is why I will never give up my 88 olds cutty c. It's _so_ much easier doing maintenance on it. None of this "Jack up engine, take wheels off to get to it, etc etc" like you see with newer cars :mad:

Thanks for the write-up. I don't even know how to loosen the pulley bolts to begin with because there is _no room_ for my to get my hand down in there :(

Oh, that's because I neglected to mention one very important step. Remove the motor mount at the passenger side end of the engine. Sorry about that.

With that out you'll have lots of room.

Trust me.....it's just as bad in a focus. Just did it last weekend. One of those "so close, yet so far away"....ugh!

Yea, you really have to play with the jack position under the engine and the orientation of the water pump to get that thing out of there. I think the new style pump looks way easier than the big ones on the old silvertops.

Back