• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing the 3rd cat

Yeah, I sent them an email to see if they offer a "testpipe" with out the cat.

Just buy a used one from someone here....and cut off the cat and weld in a pipe. Would prob be way cheaper if you went that route. :shrug:

you can have any exhaust shop make you a pipe to sit in place of your stock main cat for like $50

well thats pretty much what BAT's Y hi flow Y-pipe is a magnaflow, have mine in the room right now ;)

WTF are you talking about? Y-pipes and test pipes are different things. Granted, yes, the BAT does eliminate the test pipe. I own a BAT and a catless test pipe.

The phrase catless test pipe has always bothered me for some reason. If you're out testing "off road" why would you still want a cat?

WTF are you talking about? Y-pipes and test pipes are different things. Granted, yes, the BAT does eliminate the test pipe. I own a BAT and a catless test pipe.

I know what they are, I was just saying thats all man calm down

good luck on that , not legal and we don't do it
We?? who the hell is asking you to do anything. Or are you going to start posting state laws in here now instead...LMAO. The only thing I've seen you do is keep posting forum rules in peoples threads to get them in trouble. :nonono:

Stop acting like a saint...hell, i'll cut this guys cat off and make a thread dedicated to you about me doing this for him :laugh:

If you want I'll help hammer a piece of pipe through the stock cat so you still have the shell but the exhaust flows right on through. :)

If you want I'll help hammer a piece of pipe through the stock cat so you still have the shell but the exhaust flows right on through. :)

You had to top my idea didn't you :laugh:

But honestly thats what i did to my DD SE..when i had the exhaust off. Much better for daily driving now :)

Depends on the state.

Those laws are federal, established by the EPA and enacted by Congress. Any shop should refuse to replace the cat with a test pipe, but of course not all shops obey the law. When I had my resonator removed on the Sport I had to tell both the mechanic working on my car and the manager two times each which part I was asking them to remove and had to point it out under the vehicle since it was right next to the cat.

Last edited:
good luck on that , not legal and we don't do it

Yah well I tear off the tags from my pillowcase and sheets :p. The only thing thats stopping me from welding up something myself are the flanges and the flex pipe. I was just hoping someone sold and "off road" pipe without a cat.

I just dont get why they call it a "test pipe" if it has a cat.

Yah well I tear off the tags from my pillowcase and sheets :p. The only thing thats stopping me from welding up something myself are the flanges and the flex pipe. I was just hoping someone sold and "off road" pipe without a cat.

I just dont get why they call it a "test pipe" if it has a cat.
as the consumer you are legally allowed to remove those tags. :p

Back