• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

replacing coil pack recommendations?

compudude86

CEG'er
alright, I will be replacing my coil pack on my contour, along with taylor wires and plugs. does anybody have any recommendations on what a good coil pack would be? I was looking through the rockauto catalog and cant decide what a good pack would be. it has to be affordable but not the lowest quality I can get...

Huh? Theres a reason its called a JUNKyard. Why in the world would he want to replace an old one with an old one that he doesnt even know the history on?

Use the motorcraft one. Also return your taylor plugs and wires and get motorcraft wires and autolite plugs as discussed in about a million threads that already cover this.

Huh? Theres a reason its called a JUNKyard. Why in the world would he want to replace an old one with an old one that he doesnt even know the history on?

Use the motorcraft one. Also return your taylor plugs and wires and get motorcraft wires and autolite plugs as discussed in about a million threads that already cover this.

Its called odds. Our stock coilpacks have been tried & tested and have shown they reliable. So whats wrong with going to a jy and picking one up? If it doesnt work, return it for an exchange. Simple as that.

...Our stock coilpacks have been tried & tested and have shown they reliable...
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Right up until they arent anymore! Theres at least a thread a week about misfiring that eventually gets linked to the coilpack, and how many people are driving around with degraded performance that dont even know its degraded because it isnt throwing codes yet? Lots I'm betting. I personally believe they should be replaced as a tune-up item every 100k.

It's smart to use JY parts to help troubleshoot an issue. I dont see how dropping top dollar on new OEM parts that dont end up fixing the problems is a smart play.

If he gets a JY coil and it fixes his issue, then would be a fine time to consider a new unit since you have sufficiently identified the problem component.

Not interested in arguing....I think that concept is inherently flawed because you dont know if the JY part is good or not. $75 for a known good one is a good investment to me...To each his own though.
When I replaced mine, I realized that I had had power loss for literally years before it finally started throwing codes, and just didnt really notice it because it was gradual. It was like a brand new car, and ran better than I ever remember it running before.

That's an unusual fail, most pretty much go right then and there. I am a fan of JY parts but in the proper perspective. Most electrical I will not touch, depends on if the part did not fail much or is it shielded in a car with all windows up. Coils usually no, but you can tell an old one easily from new. A commonly changed part, it should look pretty new and if it did I would go for it as long as part has not sat out in the rain. I've yanked VCT cylinder/solenoid that looked brand new and performed as such that just happened to be left after someone yanked all the cam caps and some sprocket parts like that day. All I had to do was remove 3-4 bolts and walk off with it. Several hundred dollars worth for $20. Sometimes lady luck is right there with you.

I've yanked like Holley carbs and hi-perf distributors and the like to resell later cleaned up for 20 times what I paid for them.

I sell auto parts now, and the term 'known good part' is not as reliable as it once was. MANY new parts are junk, especially with the crazy return policies the big chains now have. They are so afraid of making customers mad that if customer does so they usually take the part back no more questions asked. No more 'install it and it's yours' policy, the part you assume is brand new could have been on 10 cars already........................

Is there anything wrong with the Accel coil pack?

I was going to ask the same thing, I have heard good things about them in the past and if they are I wouldn't mind going with an accel. In my experience with cars I have seen coil packs just give out on me, act intermittently, etc. I plan to replace the entire igntion system from the coil to the plug, as I am convinced it is all stock still, and at 165k and almost 12 years, I know it is time and that is the likely cause for the issues.

there is nothing wrong with junkyard parts so long as you know you run the risk of it not working lol

there is nothing wrong with junkyard parts so long as you know you run the risk of it not working lol

if you see a car with a completely smashed rear end in the junkyard, chances are the coil was working when it crashed...

if you see a car with a completely smashed rear end in the junkyard, chances are the coil was working when it crashed...
dont mean to fight about it, but I could see a few different scenarios where that could be untrue, example:

car A's coil pack failed (would be full failure) the car stopped running on the expressway, car B traveling at 55mph+ isnt paying attention and traveling in the same lane, BAM!

but, that is a bit dramatic. I do see your side of it.

Well, a year later, a year wiser, I have to come back here and say you guys are right. I had to have the streetfire coil, sure enough, a year later, about an hour ago, I was driving for work and BAM! The car starts running like a 60's beater, or a model T, so I limped it back to my house, and sure enough, CEL flashing away, cylinder 3 misfire. Pulled the boot off the #3 spark plug, no spark coming out. Shut it off, went into the garage and got my trusty old motorcraft coil pack, swapped the wires over and plugged it in, misfire gone. Unbolted the MSD and bolted the motorcraft in, and drove back to work. Unbelieveable.

Back